Disability and Work

Associate
About 3months ago my office hired a guy with obvious mental impairments; nothing specific from observation (its the psychologist it me lol), but I guess you could describe it as a generial mental retardation.

Anyway he is really slow doing the work and while we only share a task for half the day since he arrived I've literally had to do the work of 1 3/4 people. This wouldnt be so bad if the office wasn't so time managed and there has been - as far as I am aware - now allowances for the extra work I find myself knee-deep in each day, hense I find myself battling to make up the time as do others

Now I'm not complaining as such as I do see both sides on the argument.

On one hand I feel the disabled should be allowed to do jobs they can, maybe even positivly descriminated to get such posts. It increases independence, self efficacy and self esteem, generally gives them a normal life so they are not simply burdens unto the state. Ok you get patronised to **** by a lot of staff (how disabled people resist the urge to deck some pple amazes me), but are part of society instead of a spectator.

however

It annoys me somewhat that we're just expected to pick up the slack. It may be selfish to care now it inconvieniences me, but it does and may cost me a pay rise (good monthly %'s = payrise yasee), and does cos the company money as less work gets done. Feel like if your gonna fill a vacancy it seems sensable to place a person in it that will fill the full criteria of the job, including the time. Its not just me, everyone gets delayed and this can't be good for business.

Furthemore how can I approach my boss and essentially say "look I'd like extra time as I'm doing the work of one and a half people 'cos you guys had a quota to fill".

Anyway was wondering what other people thought of this since at the moment I'm fairly undecided. I mean its probbaly a good thing, untill your the one with the 3 extra pile of invoices

Last edited:
Soldato
Under the Disability Discrimination Act, companies have to give equal rights to anyone with a disability which may impair their ability to do a job. However, it is also up to the employer to give the disabled employee any help that they require to do the job as well as a non-disabled colleague. This is something that should be done by the employer, not by other employees.

Basically, if there is an obvious disability, your employer should have asked your colleague what they can do to help him - in this case it would probably be to increase his deadlines. You can approach your manager if you believe that there is a disability which is not being properly dealt with, and it is then their responsibility to deal with it. You shouldn't have an increased work-load because of your colleagues disability, that isn't how it's supposed to work.

Soldato
Take a positive attitude towards it with your colleague and manager, speak with the colleague first and be frank with him but at the same time ask if anything is unclear or where he thinks he needs more help/time with in the course of his job.

If he doesnt want to speak with your boss then maybe you can speak on his behalf, advise your manager that after the initial teething period its become evident that workload etc needs reworking so to help you both.

If you come across as sincere and as trying to help your colleague rather than just moaning (you have to be careful how you come across in these things) then it will help everyone, you get your bonus etc, and the new guy can have more time/help to do his work.

But, if he really isnt cut out for the job then like any other normal member of staff he should think about something else job wise. I appreciate that its harder for him, but if I was in over my head in a job and wasnt performing to job description then an employer has the right to let you go regardless.

Back
Top Bottom