Disabled access?

Soldato
I need to find out about disabled access, specifically wheelchair access. How wide is a standard wheelchair? How wide is an electric wheelchair?

Does anybody happen to know what sort of width a door or a ramp should be? Should corridors etc be of certain dimensions?

Are there recommended dimensions for bathrooms and toilets etc?

Where can I find this information?

Soldato
You want BS 8300:2001.

This newly amended standard provides guidance on good practice in the design of domestic and non-domestic buildings and their approaches so that they are convenient to use by disabled people. The recommendations relate not only to the elements of construction and accommodation which are common to different types of buildings, but also to those that are specific to building types.

It applies to car parking provisions, setting down points and garaging, access routes to and around all buildings, and entrances to and interiors of new buildings. Routes to recreational facilities associated with and in the immediate vicinity of buildings, such as patios, and seating and picnic areas, are also covered

Only £192 from the BSI

Associate
I was going to suggest Disabled Living Foundation
but the BSI is probalbly the best idea. The problem is that needs vary with the disability of the person so going with set of standards is important unless you are trying to sort out something for an individual. However, I could answer more detailed stuff is you like; e-mail me.

(Paralysed chest down by the way)

Soldato
Well, if your local library has any moderm architecture/building design books, they should be in there. I havent got mine handy right now, or I could have emailed you a scan of *** releveant pages. THe BS can be obtained for free as pdf if you are a student at certain unis. Maybe you know someone? The file would be too big to email.

Soldato
OP
I appreciate all of the responses guys, thank you. Regrettably I'm not living in the UK and I don't really have access to libraries and the like.

Basically I'm looking to build an annex for a disabled member of the family, I'm also looking to make some improvements around the house to facilitate greater access. Found myself sitting here looking at my design and wondering whether or not it is practical!

Permabanned
We got loads of free advice and some free stuff on loan from our local council. They put us in touch with relevant bodies, but I don't know if this is appropriate for you.

Back
Top Bottom