1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Disconnecting" a Gas Cooker - Rules & Regs?

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by Gtiracer, 19 Mar 2013.

1. Gtiracer

Wise Guy

Moving house so the cooker has to be "disconnected" all of which takes all somebody undoing a bayonet fitting pipe - however ridiculous it seems, I still want to do this properly and don't know if by law it has to be disconnected by a professional registered with the GAS Safe board or if I can do it myself

Well apparently it seems I don't need to call somebody in, I found a document that I believe puts me in the clear to do it myself quoting from here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/landlords/1-april-2009-tb-025-contractor-responsibilities-when-disconnecting-and-reconnecting-gas-cooking-appliances.pdf

Last edited: 19 Mar 2013
  2. the shadow

Soldato

Last edited: 19 Mar 2013
  3. Nightglow

Soldato

Perfectly legal, bayonet connections are designed for DIY use, you can disconnect it yourself.

But,you couldn't screw the threaded end of a new hose into the new cooker, as that has to be done by a gas fitter.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2013
  4. NotAGolf

Wise Guy

Thread revival!!

I'm temporarily moving my gas cooker to allow a new floor to go in. It has a bayonet fitting so I can disconnect it here, but it also has an isolation valve a few inches further down (toward the gas supply, not toward the cooker). Should I turn it off at the valve before disconnecting at the bayonet fitting, or does the fitting somehow only work if there is a gas supply to it?

5. mushtafa

Wise Guy

The fitting is self sealing once the hose is disconnected. But I would still turn the valve off just in case it doesn't fully seal. Better to be safe than sorry.

6. Nedved11

Mobster

If you're "competent" you can do whatever the hell you like with gas in your own property. Competent being the key word here, you need to know how to safely deal with gas and that does not necessarily mean you have to be gas safe. Key points here are that only in your own property and you can show your competency. If your not sure get a gas safe guy in!