Disney Land Robbery...

Don
Sorry to hear about your old man.

it is ironic though after all the places your old fella has been too, he gets mugged at Disney Land. It's not an indication of the place, it's more just bad luck I reckon.

Try to enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Soldato
Damn that sucks. Just re-confirms my conviction to stay away from the USA!

Hope your dad's OK - try not to let it ruin the rest of the trip, although I get a feeling you may not be going back in a hurry?

Associate
Sorry about your dad, reminds of the carry no more than $20 at a time for 'mug money' and keep everything else in a safe/money belt advice I got before travelling to NY for the first time. That is real bad luck to be hit at the hotel too, must have been one desperate thief.

Soldato
hello folks

posting here from my much needed holiday in the USA

just thought i would share the experience with you all.

i have come away from my usual post at OcUK to sunny florida for two weeks of theme parks, unhealthy food and very little excercise.
fantastic

well, it was until last night.

upon returning to our hotel room for the last night [we were waiting for our rented house to become available] my family entered the hotel where my Dad stayed behind at the back door for a smoke. i would have stayed with him but i gave up 6 months ago and prefer to stay away form smokers to remove any temptation.

anyway, my dad is smoking away when a guy with a pistol leaps from the bushes and mugs my dad, goodbye wallet/money/ID etc etc

after freely giving away his wallet [as you would do if a gun was pointed at you] the guy pistol whips my dad leaving him a bloody mess on the floor

bad times.

so the florida police turn up and do the subtotal of nothing to help the situation.
my dad gets cleaned up, we call the card companies and sort out replacment cards etc

an overall rubbish start to a holiday.

what i dont understand is this...

my dad works in the oil industry, he travells around more than anyone i know, mainly to deprived/hostile areas including Nigeria, China, Rwanda etc

yet in all of these places where crime corruption run rife, he has never had his life put at risk, and never been assaulted let alone held up at gun point.

it makes me laugh how the the one place it happens to him is when he is on holiday with his family at Disney land.

moral of the story...

watch your back, or Mickey Mouse will sneak up on you!

I guess be glad nothing more serious than a bruise came out of it...

When I was working in South Africa, the crime that was gaining preference was to hold you up at gun point, get your cards, money, then get your pin numbers, and then kill you so you couldn't report your cards missing!! :eek:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
thanks for all the kind comments guys,

i think its his pride that got hurt more than his head, he was carrying around far too much cash with him.

a lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom