• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

"Display Connection might be limited"

Associate
Anyone got an idea what is going on with this:
I have a MSI Tomahawk X570 mobo, EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra and just added a Samsung G7 32" monitor.
If I connect any of the three 3080 DisplayPorts to the monitor, the mobo takes a lot more time to boot than normal then issues 1 long beep and 2 short beeps, followed soon after by the beep I always get for normal start.
The machine boots fine but windows 10 issues a notification:
"Display connection might be limited. Make sure the DisplayPort device you're connecting to is supported by your PC"

The beep codes 1 long 2 short are given as "Monitor or display card error"

The monitor and card work fine, even at 2560 x 1440 @ 240Hz. All games play fine. The frame rate is fine. I can see nothing wrong. I have tried Google'ing the issue and found various posts about similar but not quite the same circumstances. Some said it may be the BIOS on the GPU needs updating to give the correct response to the mobo, but I have the latest BIOS on the GPU, monitor and mobo.

Anyway, I attached a HDMI cable instead and the machine boots normaly with a single beep to show all is OK and Windows does not complain. I can't see a difference graphically so I am sticking with HDMI for now but it just bugs the hell out of me when I get problems that are not resolved. Any light shed on the situation would be great, thanks.

Soldato
Anyone got an idea what is going on with this:
I have a MSI Tomahawk X570 mobo, EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra and just added a Samsung G7 32" monitor.
If I connect any of the three 3080 DisplayPorts to the monitor, the mobo takes a lot more time to boot than normal then issues 1 long beep and 2 short beeps, followed soon after by the beep I always get for normal start.
The machine boots fine but windows 10 issues a notification:
"Display connection might be limited. Make sure the DisplayPort device you're connecting to is supported by your PC"

The beep codes 1 long 2 short are given as "Monitor or display card error"

The monitor and card work fine, even at 2560 x 1440 @ 240Hz. All games play fine. The frame rate is fine. I can see nothing wrong. I have tried Google'ing the issue and found various posts about similar but not quite the same circumstances. Some said it may be the BIOS on the GPU needs updating to give the correct response to the mobo, but I have the latest BIOS on the GPU, monitor and mobo.

Anyway, I attached a HDMI cable instead and the machine boots normaly with a single beep to show all is OK and Windows does not complain. I can't see a difference graphically so I am sticking with HDMI for now but it just bugs the hell out of me when I get problems that are not resolved. Any light shed on the situation would be great, thanks.

Update your motherboard BIOS to latest one even if it is the beta, it's a known issue.

Also make sure your monitor is in normal sleep mode (flashing led while off) not a deep sleep (solid on led) before starting the machine, so turn off all eco modes in the monitor settings there is a good few not just one on the samsung monitor and make sure you are on the latest firmware for the monitor too.

Easy way to test the problem is turn the monitor on before you start the pc up and you will not get the beeps and one normal beep only, so if monitor is in deep sleep mode turn it off and back on and then turn pc on, if that works then update your motherboard bios and firmware on the screen if one available and turn off all eco modes in the monitor.

Also make sure to have the windows driver installed for the monitor and select in the driver the port you use on the monitor the Display port, you will see what I mean when you run the driver it will ask you what port do you use. The driver has to be installed for these samsung monitors to work right in windows and not show up as a PNP monitor which is wrong.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update your motherboard BIOS to latest one even if it is the beta, it's a known issue.

Also make sure your monitor is in normal sleep mode (flashing led while off) not a deep sleep (solid on led) before starting the machine, so turn off all eco modes in the monitor settings there is a good few not just one on the samsung monitor and make sure you are on the latest firmware for the monitor too.

Easy way to test the problem is turn the monitor on before you start the pc up and you will not get the beeps and one normal beep only, so if monitor is in deep sleep mode turn it off and back on and then turn pc on, if that works then update your motherboard bios and firmware on the screen if one available and turn off all eco modes in the monitor.

Thanks @Purgatory
As I did say, I have the latest BIOS on the mobo, GPU and monitor (in fact, the monitor is on later firmware than the latest on the Samsung site).

I'll check through your other suggestions. I haven't touched any of the eco modes so they will be set at default - I'll check them out. I am pretty sure I must at some time have booted the machine with the monitor on but no idea what sleep mode might have been set. Not around for a day or so and I'll go through your suggestions as soon as I get back to the PC, thanks.

Soldato
Thanks Purgatory.
As I did say, I have the latest BIOS on the mobo, GPU and monitor (in fact, the monitor is on later firmware than the latest on the Samsung site).

I'll check through your other suggestions. I haven't touched any of the eco modes so they will be set at default - I'll check them out. I am pretty sure I must at some time have booted the machine with the monitor on but no idea what sleep mode might have been set. Not around for a day or so and I'll go through your suggestions as soon as I get back to the PC, thanks.

I added the driver for the monitor too above that needs installing too.

Man of Honour
I assume you tried a different cable? Issues with DP seem quite common with these new cards but if you've updated the BIOS and VBIOS not sure what else you can do.

Associate
OP
I added the driver for the monitor too above that needs installing too.

Yup, latest drivers for monitor, Nvidia, mobo

I assume you tried a different cable? Issues with DP seem quite common with these new cards but if you've updated the BIOS and VBIOS not sure what else you can do.

Not tried a different DP cable. The one that came with the monitor is marked "8k" and is pretty hefty. I expect that Samsung would make sure that their cable would be good for a monitor that's certainly not budget. However, all things can be faulty and it will be a part of the process of elimination if other things don't work but initially I don't want to spend more.

Associate
OP

Also make sure to have the windows driver installed for the monitor and select in the driver the port you use on the monitor the Display port, you will see what I mean when you run the driver it will ask you what port do you use. The driver has to be installed for these samsung monitors to work right in windows and not show up as a PNP monitor which is wrong.

Thanks @Purgatory
I replaced the HDMI cable with the DP one to test it and indeed you were right. Making sure the monitor was on before the PC stopped the POST beeps. I think Windows still complains but I can put up with that warning and ignore it.
The firmware has changed considerably from the youtube videos I saw and the ECO modes were harder to find. Think those are sorted out now.

One thing: I installed the latest drivers from the Samsung web site (Device(Install) (CxxG75xQ) ver 1.0 8.11 MB Mar 23. 2020 Windows) and they didn't ask me which port to use so not sure about that bit.
However, I just selected the input manually on the monitor and all seems to working fine.

Back
Top Bottom