1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divorce questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ~J~, 24 Jan 2011.

1. ~J~

Sgarrista

Pretty sure a handful of people have experience this, just wanted some advice as something is rather unclear.

These "Quick Divorce" websites say they are about £69. £79, £89, £99, etc, yet I thought that a standard divorce payment, to the court, was £300.

Does this mean that they handle the consultation between the 2 parties (at a cost of £##) and you're still required to pay the £300 for the actual divorce through the courts?

Likewise, if I wanted to handle the divorce myself (with no solicitor), I believe I need something called a D8 form.

Where do I get this, and at what point do I pay for the actual divorce? At the start (does the D8 technically cost £300), when I send it off to the court, when the divorce is over?

Could basically do with a handful of step-by-step guide as to what to do, how much it will cost WITHOUT solicitors.

2. Metalface Mark

Capodecina

Cant offer any insight, but id be interested in the responses for both Scotland and England if people have experience of both. (about to start the process myself but in Scotland).

3. clade

Hitman

slightly off topic but is it not worth going though a solicitor incase things get messy even if it is a few years down the line?

4. billysielu

Capodecina

The most important thing is to get her to sign "once this is signed I'm not gonna come back 5 years from now and claim 70% of your stuff".

5. LordSplodge

Capodecina

There is a website that is full of advice but I can't remember it and my Google Fu is week.

Sorry but I am sure if you Google around you could find it.

6. ~J~

Sgarrista

I don't see how it could get messy - far too many reasons to explain why but there's no children involved and neither of us are going after assets.

7. Metalface Mark

Capodecina

If everything is agreed and in writing, then theres no comeback.

8. ~J~

Sgarrista

Have Googled, they don't ask my specific questions.

9. Sweetloaf

Soldato

I think it depends on the reasons for divorce, if both parties agree to the grounds for the divorce and you've been seperated for 2 years minimum with no assets or kids to argue about then the courts may not have to get involved, or a solicitor for that matter.

Gonna keep an eye on this thread although my situation is a damn sight more complicated :)

10. billysielu

Capodecina

I wonder how many have been stung by that :rolleyes:

11. mogwai

Hitman

I think these are called clean break divorces.

12. vanandjuanunited

Soldato

Make sure you get a clean break divorce I think its called. Saves issues down the line.
    Best advice I can offer is go see a solicitor

13. Cuchulain

Sgarrista

You still have to pay the court fee's, I got rid of my psycho ex-wife many years back and used http://www.divorce-online.co.uk/ and they were excellent, got a far better service from them than I would have done by visiting a solicitor in person.

14. Admiral Huddy

Caporegime

Having had experience in these matters on one occasion (and hopefully only the once) don't skimp on a decent solicitor. Most costs are incurred because couples can't decide who gets possession of their ageing 7" record collection. If you can work things out amicably then there's no reason this can't be done cheaply.

If you have kids, then you def need a solicitor. They can tie up so many loopholes that a quick intenet web service wouldn't

Last edited: 24 Jan 2011
  15. ~J~

Sgarrista

That's exactly what I was after, thank you.

Not ONE of them I've phoned have given me a straight answer as to whether I have to pay x-amount to them and that's it, or x-amount to them AND the court fees.

Thank you for that.

16. MOOGLEYS

Capodecina

Deffinately get a solicitor no matter how freindly you are with your partner. Mine was all happy at first then it went mental and with solicitors fee,s and payments it cost me just over £25k to get divorced. It would have been cheaper if I had got a solicitor from the start.

17. Jimbo

Soldato

I am intrested in this also, I have split with my ex wife and Im moving on. We have no kids or assets to speak of, so I was just gonna save up the £400 i was told, and get it done in court quick as pos. Keep us updated on this please, and thanks for that web site as well.

18. Jimbo

Soldato

19. MOOGLEYS

Capodecina

My advice having gone through Hell is get a solicitor from the start it will make things so much easier and if you are both in agrement and amicable it can be done quickly and cheaply.

20. wnb

Mobster

Always go and see a solicitor, she may be amicable now but she will have friends who will tell her to screw you for every penny she can get. Women never forget every slight you have made, next thing you know she will be a bitter and twisted women who can only remember the last time you left the toilet seat up!