DIY-zone. Who has replaced their guttering?

Soldato
Mine is completely gone, leaks everywhere and now 1 section has come adrift.
Various tradesmen I have phoned are booked up for the next 3-6 months and it really needs fixing before any winds or major rain comes.

I've priced it all up for Floplast half round and including the downpipe clips etc I'm at -what I thought- a meager £150 delivered.
So I can hire a decent ally tower and crack on.

2 issues.

My fascias and sofits are nasty. I'd like to address them whilst I'm up there.
I've had samples taken and they are not asbestos like I assumed so that makes it easier but I have no idea how I'd replace or board over the sofit. As a minimum I was thinking masonry paint. Any ideas?

Secondly, I have an extension that I would need to span, its a single storey with a pitched roof. I don't have room down the side for another ally tower with boards between so I don't know how to gain access to that part.
UhLSHns.jpg
51mq3T4.jpg

Associate
If your sofits are not asbestos they are more than likely just wood. You can get the PVC stuff and just clad over the wood as long as the wood is not rotten then you should be good to go, the alternative is when you are taking down the gutters to do give it all a good scrap off/sand in down and the undercoat and repaint it all in a decent gloss paint but that would be a bit of time/work so maybe better to just clad it.

As for the bit around the back how ever you do it will be expensive. I have a similar situation and the solution was a bridging scaffold going across the whole span or one that was attached to the chimney and bridge out both are expensive. Working of a cherry picker might work out cheaper?

Soldato
OP
If your sofits are not asbestos they are more than likely just wood. You can get the PVC stuff and just clad over the wood as long as the wood is not rotten then you should be good to go, the alternative is when you are taking down the gutters to do give it all a good scrap off/sand in down and the undercoat and repaint it all in a decent gloss paint but that would be a bit of time/work so maybe better to just clad it.

As for the bit around the back how ever you do it will be expensive. I have a similar situation and the solution was a bridging scaffold going across the whole span or one that was attached to the chimney and bridge out both are expensive. Working of a cherry picker might work out cheaper?

They're a kind of cement board, looked suspiciously like they may have been asbestos hence why I had a sample analysed. You see those wooden outriggers though... What do I do around them? Can't imagine the ball ache of trimming PVC to fit.

I did look into cherry pickers briefly but it seems I'd need to be a trade customer with my own insurance. Scaffolding as pointed out may be the only way :/ Is that pricey?

Associate
remember next door nieghbours some years back had there guttering and facias changed , you know the guys in the van sort of team with magnetic signs. he quoted us for ours at 800pounds (three bed detached). i thought about it but thought it was too cheap. anyway days later while they were working i got another quote from them at 600.. no chance i thought.
they did the next door from ladders and the poor guys on them looked very stressed. week later 3 pieces of the end covers had fell of and the guttering was wonky. so glad i never had it done.

Associate
Watching this with interest. I really need to replace sections of my guttering and have wondered about doing it myself from a ladder. Jist have little idea how to actually do it.

Also the guttering it connected to wooden struts that follow the slope of the roof and protrude out. Try as I might I have not been able to find the metal brackets that are currently in use that sit between the guttering clamps and the wood.

Not a great explanation I know.

Associate
its doable from a decent ladder with a stand off that allows you to be standing on the ladder in the area you need to work in and be comfortable when working from there for a bit of time. Remember working at height using a ladder is not supposed to be for extensive periods of time but accidents tend to happen when you are a over reaching and or not comfortable working in that area.

Soldato
I replaced a few gutter joints from a ladder a few weeks ago and that was bad enough with just a few small plastic parts to deal with, sod doing facia boards from ladder.

Soldato
Not with ladders surely?

DIY will struggle to hire a cherry picker.

If you've got flatish land around the house then you could rent a tower. When I was going to clean out my gutters I'd priced one up from hss and think it was around £100-150 for the week.

If you don't have any flat land, then a tower won't be any good.

Soldato
I'm getting mine done for £1080 (by others Inc supply of black pvc guttering) .. Also had quotes of £1500 and £5000 :cry:

I know it's not the material cost, but my roof is similar to yours going round 3 sides and offset from the brickwork I.e. It's not easy to access from a ladder. Too much risk for me to do DIY (don't have a Scaffold and frankly don't think it's safe to DIY from a ladder)

Last edited:
Associate
Not with ladders surely?

DIY will struggle to hire a cherry picker.

You could set up a trade account with them but they probably still won't rent out a MEWP to you unless you have an IPAF card. See about getting on a MEWP course, probably work out cheaper than paying for your funeral (if set on using ladders!).

Soldato
We got ours done for £500, soffits, facias, gutters and downpipes.
Though it was when we were having the roof as well so didn't include any scaffolding in that so maybe £750-£1000 to have done alone.

Back
Top Bottom