1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do DVD-RW drives just stop working?

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Saint, 31 Jul 2006.

1. Saint

Wise Guy

Basically i've never had a problem with it, but as of yesterday it has just stop reading CD's :( Do these drives just stop working all of a sudden? There's no noises or anything, just the CD goes into the drive the computer thinks about it for a minute then nothing happens. Has it just died on me?

2. vanandjuanunited

Soldato

It can happen - also have you been messing about inside the case. It could be a loose ide cable. Only way to know if its dead is to try it in another machine.

3. Saint

Wise Guy

Nope i haven't touched the inside recently. I will try it in my other machine and see what happens there!

4. luminous

Gangster

Are you able to burn dvds but not read cds?
    Writers have 2 lasers cd one being known to fail.Hopefully you`re still in warranty.

5. jklc

Hitman

I've had a couple of drives die on me like this. I guess there's no real way of testing this in reviews :( I remember 2 Pioneer DVDRWs and an LG CDRW dying so far each in their 2-3 year lifespans.

6. Daniel

Hitman

I have had a couple die also. One of mine would burn DVD's but not CD's :confused: