1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do htpcs give a better picture than dvd players?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by Energize, 4 Feb 2006.

1. Energize

Caporegime

In general would a media center pc with a 6600gt give a better picture than a dvd player, assuming they both used the same connection?

2. Matblack

Capodecina

yep

MB

3. Caged

Capodecina

What makes you say that? It depends what DVD player you have obviously.

What player were you looking at?

4. daz

Capodecina

Theatertek and ffdshow are absolutely superb. Combine with VGA or DVI out into a projector. :D

5. MrM3

Wise Guy

I have not tried all DVD players but...

HTPC can probably provide a better picture than most DVD players thx to post processing etc if displaying on HDTV.

DVD players can upscale and are simpler but you would be hard pushed to beat a HTPC properly setup using ffdshow etc

I am sure there are some £1000 DVD players out there that are better than most PCs.

6. Caged

Capodecina

I was also concerned about the connectivity, a good DVD player will probably provide a closer output to the TV as to what is actually on the DVD, but I agree some filters really can make the picture look superb. Speaking TV connections only, would the S-Video offered on a graphics card match a component connection?

7. daz

Capodecina

Doubtful. I'd (personally) only use a HTPC for displays that can take a d-sub VGA or DVI connection.

8. Energize

Caporegime

On my 6600gt it has this thing that plugs into the card and has component and s-video out.

9. davetherave2

Mobster

Not sure about dvd players but have to say that my media centre machine using DVI -> HDMI (via 9800SE AIW) looks great using the latest version of Theatertek or WinDVD.

Having never actually owned a standalone DVD player I'm not sure how they really look but I can't wait till HD DVD players are out.

10. Bobbler

Mobster

Nope, its god awful in comparison to component regardless of the card you use (tried about 4 different cards when I set up my XP MCE box a while back).
    Like has already been said unless your telly is an LCD/Plasma/PJ then I wouldn't expect great things hooked up via svideo.

11. Goatboy

Man of Honour

It's generally considered that the only thing that beats a properly configured HTPC is a dvd player + scaler, the difference obvisouly with dedicated hardware scaling as opposed to software based.

12. Mr Latte

Sgarrista

Id appreciate if some of you looked and gave thoughts in THIS thread as it concerns this topic very much too.

HTPCs may have more than just quality as an advantage depending on your HDTV display.

13. Shimmyhill

Mobster

I would 2nd this.

My mate runs a SDI modded Philips via a Crystalio (soon to be 2) and its draw dropping.

PC scaling is pretty good but not a patch on a good hardware scaler and this is where the differnce kicks in.

If you have a half decent pc and your screen will take dvi/vga you can get stunning results from a pc.

14. Tinders

Soldato

In what way is a hardware/software scalar better, surely the output can only be as good as the source?

15. Energize

Caporegime

Don't graphics cards upscale videos automatically to match the screen res?

16. MrM3

Wise Guy

If only it were that simple let Yoda show you...

http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1

17. MrM3

Wise Guy

Scaling is an art form and some do it better a lot better than others it would seem.

18. Goatboy

Man of Honour

Nope the point of a scaler is to take an image of say 720x576 pixels and turn it into an image of say 1920x1080 pixels, it has to add the necessary detail to produce a good image at the end of it and not one that looks like it's been blown up, the better the scaler at 'guessing' how to fill the extra detail the better the end image.

19. Mr Latte

Sgarrista

In general i think HTPC owners should start considering HD-DVD.
    Standard DVD is going to look a tad unimpressive soon.

FFWD 6 MONTHS >>>
    Throw on "Windows Vista" add your HDCP compatible GFX card with nice new HD-DVDrom drive and start ripping your shiny new HD-DVD movies to your Media Centre but do ensure you have a HDCP compatible monitor (very doubtfull) or a DVI/HDMI connectable HDTV.

PS before Davey Closes this thread regards ripping, it will be perfectly legal/permitted with HD-DVD because of HDCP

Last edited: 6 Feb 2006
  20. Caged

Capodecina

It's going to take more than six months for this kind of stuff to be affordable, HD-DVD burners are $500 at the moment.