Do I need a software firewall anymore?

Associate
I have just got a Draytek Vigor2800 ADSL Router/Firewall from work so that I can securely connect to the corporate VPN. I have Sygate Personal Firewall installed on my machine and I also have Windows Firewall enabled. Do I need Sygate still or even Windows Firewall? Can I uninstall/disable them both?

Our network admin configured the router so I assume that the firewall is enabled.

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

I would say no. Your router is a "Hardware Firewall" to enable inbound traffic blocking. Just like the software firewall.

Associate
A good software firewall could prevent programs, trojans etc already on your PC's starting a connection without your knowledge or permission. Dont know Sygate personal though.

The hardware firewall protects against external attacks and maintains your network and vpn's security.

No to software firewall if you think you will never have a compromised PC!

Associate
I have the same router and the firewall works very well. Its a bit complicated but once working it works amazing. No need for others but to be extra secure use the windows one.

Soldato
I find it useful to keep a software firewall as well just to see programs that try to auto-update or things like Adobe, Quicktime, Java which I like to prevent.

That is, outgoing stuff that you have installed, not necessarily trojans.

Soldato
For the sake of having to say "yes" to zonealarm or sygate when something new connect to the net id consider it worth keeping a software firewall.
To date (touch wood) and I aren't even slightly careful about sites i visit etc - between my virus checker and the firewall no hacking of bank/wow account. I have a "proper" hardware firewall too but its not really much of an inconvienience and you never just know when it will save your ass.

Back
Top Bottom