do i need anti virus for my mac

Caporegime
Nope. Just be sensible. If all of a sudden something asks for your admin password and you're not expecting it, don't type it!

This is true also

That scare i mentioned above was obvious because it was A) a pop up of a windows security centre screen and B) asked for your admin password :p

Soldato
Nope. Just be sensible. If all of a sudden something asks for your admin password and you're not expecting it, don't type it!

While I'd generally agree to this I'd add a caveat. Don't forget just cos you can't get infected by Windows based virus you can pass them on to other Windows users via email and the like

I have AV on all my machines, but not active. I do scheduled scans. All of my Windows VMs though have active AV in them.

I do this because I deal mostly with corps with Windows - it would be bad for me to pass on infected files.

Soldato
You may not need to install an AV but there are things you can do that will make your MAC and data more secure.

Basics:

Don't run your main user account for daily activities as an admin. Create a new admin account the remove admin permissions for your main account. You can still elevate permissions for certain activities when needed.

Use a firewall. I use Hands Off! Besides monitoring network activity it lets you sandbox applications from writing to disk if need be and allows you to stop specified applications from needlessly dialling home. Little Snitch is another popular alternative and OSX has a built in firewall but it requires some configuration.

Disable automatic login.

Advanced:

Use file encryption. OSX has FileVault baked in or use an alternative such as Knox.

Create a firmware update password:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1352

This stops someone form being to just insert a Linux Live CD and snoop around. Or to be able to wipe your drive and fresh install ie if your Mac is stolen. Which can make it easier to recover if you use an app like "prey project".

As for AV Sophos is probably the most popular for Mac and as said it can help stop potentially passing on virii to Windows users.

Back
Top Bottom