Do the core have bad contact with the IHS?

Associate
Or most probably youll find that core sensors are miles off the mark and you'll get 1, maybe 2c @ load from removing the IHS and gain basically nothing.

Keeping in mind your lower core idle is actually physically impossible...

Associate
OP
Creidiki said:
Or most probably youll find that core sensors are miles off the mark and you'll get 1, maybe 2c @ load from removing the IHS and gain basically nothing.

Keeping in mind your lower core idle is actually physically impossible...

I know the sensor there is wrong, as I idle below ambient. However, the fact that it shows 24c difference, and freezes my computer in a second(in contrast to core 2, which keeps on going) convinces me that the IHS is making bad contact. I can't see any other logical thing(?) :confused:

Associate
Easy, that core cant cope with those speeds.

When a processor fails to run at a certain speed, it doesent all fail at once, its often just one bad gate.

In my case, my 170 will do 2.8GHz @ 1.375v. @ 1.35v, core 0 (the one with reported sub-ambient idles) fails, every single time.

Associate
OP
Creidiki said:
Easy, that core cant cope with those speeds.

When a processor fails to run at a certain speed, it doesent all fail at once, its often just one bad gate.

In my case, my 170 will do 2.8GHz @ 1.375v. @ 1.35v, core 0 (the one with reported sub-ambient idles) fails, every single time.

Yeah, you could be right, I'm not really sure :confused:

Associate
OP
Ok, now I'm REALLY confused :confused:
I just tried stress testing core 1 alone, and not core 2 at the same time. And I was shocked! The temperature of core 1 is a lot lower when I'm only stress testing core 1, than when core 1 was idle and core 2 stressed... How can that be? core 1 is actually stable now, until I start core 2 at the same time...

untitled7gx1.jpg

Associate
OP
Bringing this thread back to live :D . I just popped off the IHS, and guess what, max 3-4c difference between each core! :eek: So it obviously was bad contact between the core and IHS. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if I can overclock any further at all :( . Well well, it was fun though :p

Associate
OP
Jokester said:
Even with more volts?

Jokester

Yeah, it doesn't seem to want to go any further at all :( . Can't even get it 100% stable at 2.8ghz now...

What's a little odd, is that during idle there's still a big difference in temps between the cores, but as soon as I fire up some load it's more or less equal. However, I do have another x2 3800+ that might be worth removing the IHS from, but I have to use one of them at stock cooler all the time... So if I'm going to remove IHS from my second cpu, I have to reassemble the IHS on this one again...

Back
Top Bottom