do trucks like L200 / HiLux require really frequent servicing?

Associate
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/l200/

thinking of picking up one of these (not specifically l200, just this type of 'car') second hand, as I'm frequently having to cram large junk into my mk4 golf and I have ruined it big time as a result.

Anyway, all looks good on price etc (thinking between 5-7k), but a mate of mine told me these trucks require servicing really frequently - like every 5k miles?

Now im guessing if thats true, these things are mega expensive to run and this won't be happening. So good people of overclockers, is this fact or fiction?

cheers

Associate
Specifications -> Servicing and Insurance ;).

12.5k or 12 months, so no. Unless you're a member of the general idiotic public who thinks servicing a car every 12 months is a lot.

Associate
OP
every year you say :eek: this thing is going to cost me a fortune! :p

:) cheers, sounds like normal sort of thing to me, treat it well, last a while, run it into the ground, it will die - and then you blame the manufacturer for being rubbish.

I did have a look on the site but couldn't find anything regarding these ultra low services I had been told about.

Cool.

Man of Honour
I had a navara for 5 years or so. Servicing was inexpensive and it was reliable as anything. Other than servicing it didn't give me a single bill.

Permabanned
I used to have an L200, servicing every 12,500 miles.

Your mate is talking balls. They are built like tanks, and if cared for, I would expect one to reach 100K miles without blinking.

Tea Drinker
Don
When the newness and the novelty wears off you'll regret buying one as a every day car unless you really need it as a tool, I had a Ranger for two weeks and was glad to give it back, they are uncomfortable cramped low spec and more expensive to run than a standard car.

I game shoot in the winter and experience plenty of different models over the past few years and they are all the same great tools however a novelty as a day to day car, the only 4wd I'd put up with is a Vogue.

Associate
I've got a '00 L200 and love it to bits, but they are a bit cramped. If you're not bothered about your passengers comfort, go for it. Otherwise I'd go for a station wagon type 4X4, like a Shogun or something.

I had a '99 Pajero a couple of years ago, it was a great truck but it was a 3.5 V6 petrol that had done 130k. So it was rattling a fair bit and it was drinking the fuel!

Wise Guy
Soldato
Hiluxes are awesome. Favorite vehicle I ever had. Taken care of they will do 300k easy.

10,000 taliban drivers can't be wrong.

I never had to do any service except

oil/filters every 5-10k
tires
brakes
new starter at 160k
transaxle seal at 150k
timing belt and water pump at about 120k

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Soldato
Actually both sides use them in Afghanistan: