Do you keep your old game boxes?

Man of Honour
I ditched most of them. Had some (vaguely) nice stuff like GTA Limited Edition (with separate audio cd), Carmageddon Max Pack (with mousemat, keyring etc).

The real shock for me is that it took so long for PC games to move to smaller packaging, just think how much shelf space they used to take up in shops :/

Commissario
I've still got the boxes for some of our really old games (Battletech Crescent Hawks revenge, Wingcommander 1 etc), but got rid of most of the boxes years ago for space reasons, generally only keeping the boxes that I really liked :)

Hangtime, I think part of the reason they kept the boxes as long as they did was because for a very long time they needed them for the floppies and manuals :)
IIRC once they stopped doing floppy versions the boxes started to get a little smaller, and once they stopped doing proper manuals the boxes started to shift down to size, although it wasn't really until DVD cases became available that they really killed them off (I guess DVD cases were/are more durable than CD cases on shelves, and had room for a manual).

I actually found a load of old Snes and Gameboy boxes in the loft the other day, which i think i'll have to dispose of, as AFAIK most of the games went down to my nephews a few years back and have disappeared :( (I've still got the snes's etc just no games these days).

Man of Honour
The thing is though even after the demise of the floppy (lets say around 1996) it still took a few years to start seeing cd games put in DVD style cases. Typically you'd get a cardboard box with a cd jewel case inside, manual and maybe some other guff. But there was just no need for it!

OK so to be fair the DVD market didn't really kick off until the late 90s, so the concept of the dvd case probably wasn't so prevalent then, but I just think looking back (to a time when online shopping was basically non-existent) that one of the big costs facing game retailers must surely have been shelf space.

Soldato
I still have boxes for some floppy based games that I've really enjoyed, e.g. Eye of the Beholder, Ultima Underworld 2.

Some years back I started clearing out boxes via auctioning games that I would have probably been better off holding on to, e.g. Fallout, the Elder Scrolls series, System Shock 2, etc.

So I'm now undecided about the DVD case games of recent times. Although they don't hold the same interest when housed in an identical DVD case with just a paper insert as the cover. And monochrome coloured flimsy paper manual.

When I see a game that interests me I do consider the collector edition (if the items look worthwhile). With recent examples being:
Fallout 3 - tin lunch box and bubblehead.
Bioshock - Big Daddy statue
Batman: Arkham Asylum - boomerang

Back
Top Bottom