• Yes, it is fine, spot on, hunky dory.

Votes: 85 43.8%
  • No, a change is required.

Votes: 109 56.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Aye, but you gain respect from being helpful (in other forums, they DO exist y'know;)) and by being courteous and respectful of others yourself.

I've come out with some **** in my time, I'm pretty sure we all have, but I'm capable of retracting my statements without getting all upset about losing the argument.

I think :rolleyes: gets used far too much - so the description of it should be changed from "sarcastic" to "you goon" or it should be used in its proper context. I hardly ever use it myself :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

People should remember where they are. You're probably here because you've heard/read good things about these forums. Let's try to keep it that way eh.

Oh and WTLW needs to be upped in the funny stakes too. MORE FUNNY that's what we need.

Soldato
Could anyone help with my pc, oh wrong thread it's just nobody else was in any of the other forums;) :p I cannot take this forum seriously, it is a place for people to knock a few opinions about, beliefs and life advice and to generally chit/chat, and yes sometimes talk ********:p Of which is quite amusing. Overclockers forums are first and formost to help people with pc issues, this is quite a good sideline. Long may it live, and evolve in its own unique way, if the reigns need pulling in I am sure the Dons will do that.

Soldato
I think post counts for the whole of 'Lifestyle' section should be removed, not just GD. It's supposed to be a forum for overclockers (least that's the way it was). IMO a lot of people who only post in Lifestyle could learn a lot from other users in the Computing section, I know I have. We also have an IRC channel, I suggest people use it for discussions, after all that's what it's there for.

Post counts were initially used more I think for Members Market, but now we have the Trust system I don't think we need to use them anymore either.

Closing GD for (x) months ain't gonna happen, I'd assume that Spie gets a lot of business from it's users? Hmm, come to think of it it's another reason why I think we won't have post counts removed in here. PC + Users = £££?

How about introducing a time limit then on how often you can post or increasing it to 60 seconds+?

Soldato
Removing the lifestyle sections is possibly the worst idea Ive ever heard someone come up with. Lets force everyone to talk about computers. Lets lose all of our members. People dont just come here for computing knowledge, they come for the community spirit too.

Its fine the way it is. If you dont like GD, then dont go in. If you dont like Mobile threads, dont read them. And if you dont like threads with drivel in them, then ignore them.

The only 2 things I can see that would improve GD are

1. Users posting in the right forum, not just posting in GD and letting a Don move it. Take 1 min to look at the list of forums and see if it fits better elsewhere

2. People naming threads sensibly, so if its drivel you know it is.

At the end of the day GD is there to add a bit of light relief and humour, unfortunately you have a wide range of ages on this board and you have to respect what appeals you the elder statesmen may be seen as boring to the teens, and what appeals to the teens is trvial to the elder statesmen

Removing postcounts might help, it certainly doesnt add anything to the boards.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've said it all along, abolish post counts for GD.

I frequent most of the other forums, but I rarely come into GD. When I do I see people with post counts of 1000+ who I've never heard of (ie. they don't post anywhere else other than GD)

No matter what you think, post counts are important to a lot of users. Lets make people "earn" their avatar rather than be given it for posts such as "how many weetabix can you eat" and other useless stuff.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Rob "Hooah!" Offer
People dont just come here for computing knowledge, they come for the community spirit too.

Its fine the way it is.

If you dont like GD, then dont go in.

If you dont like Mobile threads, dont read them. And if you dont like threads with drivel in them, then ignore them.

The only 2 things I can see that would improve GD are

1. Users posting in the right forum, not just posting in GD and letting a Don move it. Take 1 min to look at the list of forums and see if it fits better elsewhere

2. People naming threads sensibly, so if its drivel you know it is.

At the end of the day GD is there to add a bit of light relief and humour, unfortunately you have a wide range of ages on this board and you have to respect what appeals you the elder statesmen may be seen as boring to the teens, and what appeals to the teens is trvial to the elder statesmen

Removing postcounts might help, it certainly doesnt add anything to the boards.

Nail Hit Head.
icon14.gif
:)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by JodieG
I think turning off pc is a good idea, maybe in all forums, what is the real point of it anyway? It doesn't tell you anything about someone other than they post a lot or a little.

People are suggesting this despite the fact that it won't actually do anything than wind up a significant proportion of the forum. There is no evidence to suggest that having a post count actually means people are sad enough to post random rubbish just to increase it. It's simply ludicrous to suggest such a thing - most of the people on this forum are intelligent adults who simply would not see the value in such a pathetic and sad act.

What exactly do you hope to acheive by removing postcounts?

I've seen another forum without postcounts, and there is just as much, if not *more* rubbish there than there is here. Less members, as well.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by PAC2003
I'm with the PC being removed, it WILL calm things down in here, simply because some people strive to UP their count in order to gain some sort of respect

Please prevent the evidence which has led you to arise at this frankly bizarre conclusion.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by afraser2k
Didn't say remove Lifestyle section, I said remove POST COUNTS for lifestyle section.

Assuming this reason-less idea actually does get serious thought, why the entire lifestyle session? Do you not beleive the genuinelly informative and interesting postings in the Motors forum, or perhaps the Sports forum are good enough to be added to the postcount?

This could be fixed if the Don's just deleted the rubbish threads. And as for being called Nazi's, so what? Everyone else would appreciate it, don't let a few morons scupper a potential idea.

Soldato
Originally posted by afraser2k
Didn't say remove Lifestyle section, I said remove POST COUNTS for lifestyle section.
So you did. Well, it was early.....

I reckon if you are going to remove postcounts from any sub-forum then you should remove them completely - although there probably are only a few people who care about them, removing them would not affect anyone

Oh and Fox - I find it quite amusing that you are saying no-one cares about post counts, but you clearly have gone to the effort of noting your pre-nuke post count and quoting it in your location

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oh and Fox - I find it quite amusing that you are saying no-one cares about post counts, but you clearly have gone to the effort of noting your pre-nuke post count and quoting it in your location

You clearly didn't read what I said. Postcounts obviously matter to some people - it'd make no difference to anyone if they were there or not if they didn't. What I'm saying is that whilst post counts matter to some people, that doesn't mean people purposefully post things purely to get a higher postcount. This is a franjly absurd suggestion.

Look at the people with high post counts - ie over 4000. Do you see them constantly posting random crud? No, you don't. They just happen to amass over 4000 posts whilst contributing to this community on a daily basis, and I respect them for that.

Most of the random rubbish comes from the kid brigade, none of which have particulary huge post counts.

Soldato
Ah sorry caught the worng of the stick.

Personally I do think people post things to increase a postcount, of course there is 1 prime example who I dont even need to name, although he's calmed down of late.

I do think some of the new users take any opportunity to PC+1, however Im sure the novelty wears off after they have been registered for a while, or when they reach a certain avatar level. And it all depends on the maturity of the member in question

Man of Honour
Originally posted by [TW]Fox
Look at the people with high post counts - ie over 4000. Do you see them constantly posting random crud? No, you don't. They just happen to amass over 4000 posts whilst contributing to this community on a daily basis, and I respect them for that.
Eh :confused: There are only three people with a PC of more than 4000 - and two of those only reached that figure in the last 48 hours. And the other one is a SpamBot :)

Your location speaks volumes ;)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by 2blue4u
Eh :confused: There are only three people with a PC of more than 4000 - and two of those only reached that figure in the last 48 hours. And the other one is a SpamBot :)

Sorry, It was just a random figure plucked from thin air ;)

Your location speaks volumes ;)

I don't think it does, becuase my point isnt that post counts are irrelevent, I just think postcounts are not directly proportional to spam and rubbish.

And Rob if your prime suspect is who I think he is, I think he's been culled several times which has discouraged him :)

Soldato
But they see people with these huge post counts and so want one as well, so post spam.

I'm of the opinion that as this was mainly an overclockers/hardware forum. I also think that the other forums were created as a distraction for other users to keep those forums clean from spam (if I remember it was requested that GD was created by forum users from the old forum) so that's why I don't think removing lifestyle would be a good idea (or that there is a lack of good posts in those forums as I don't read Motors forum).

I think removing post counts from some forums would be a good idea until quality of posts increase and so they'd be reintroduced again. Then again who is to say what posts count as quality?

Man of Honour
Originally posted by [TW]Fox
Sorry, It was just a random figure plucked from thin air ;)
Ah! Random posting. PC=PC+1 eh? /makes note ;)

I think that all that needs to be done is for the mods to make greater use of the PC trimming shears upon the spam kiddies. It is a tactic that has worked extremely well in the past on those very few occasions that it has been employed. And if someone starts throwing teddies due to losing 100 from their PC then good riddance to them if they have that attitude.

Soldato
Originally posted by 2blue4u
I think that all that needs to be done is for the mods to make greater use of the PC trimming shears upon the spam kiddies. It is a tactic that has worked extremely well in the past on those very few occasions that it has been employed. And if someone starts throwing teddies due to losing 100 from their PC then good riddance to them if they have that attitude.
Ah but who decides what is spam?

Each Dons opinion may differ, some of the Dons partake in the "drivel" that is posted whereas others steer clear

Blue, does anyone actually have anything in mind to improve GD? Anything thats actually been/being discussed - rather than jsut opinions?

And will this thread even be acted upon? Or is it just drivel?

Man of Honour
And will this thread even be acted upon? Or is it just drivel?
It's a debate. A novel concept for GD ;) All worthy ideas that crop up in this thread will be considered and, who knows, may even be implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom