Votes: 85 43.8%
  • No, a change is required.

Votes: 109 56.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Originally posted by [TW]Fox
People are suggesting this despite the fact that it won't actually do anything than wind up a significant proportion of the forum. There is no evidence to suggest that having a post count actually means people are sad enough to post random rubbish just to increase it. It's simply ludicrous to suggest such a thing - most of the people on this forum are intelligent adults who simply would not see the value in such a pathetic and sad act.

What exactly do you hope to acheive by removing postcounts?

I've seen another forum without postcounts, and there is just as much, if not *more* rubbish there than there is here. Less members, as well.

Hmmm coming from someone that has his old pc in his location? The fact is a lot of people here do just want a high pc. It's all good and well suggesting this that and the other but until it's been tried here we won't know if it would have the desired effect or not. I still think that removing pc could only be a good thing. Why do people have their old pc in their locations?

Soldato
Originally posted by gjrc
i agree MYB

i do think, however, that the backbiting / insults are not confined to the normal members. i have seen it from UB's and MOHs

Dons as well, sir, myself included. We all need to be brought back into line and look at the friendship angle which made OcUK different.

Soldato
Becuase what difference will it make? Most people are utterly clueless as to the root cause of any problems and how to run a forum anyway. Half the people seem to think Post Counts are the root of all evil and encourage world+dog to spam, which is utter rubbish, so would you trust these people with a vote?

Somebody who knows what they are doing needs to make these decisions, not Mr Random. Oh, look at that, that's exactly what *ALREADY* happens.

You don't know what difference is will make and the fact is no one does, it's a valid idea just like some others. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't good. You seem to think that because you think it's rubbish that you are right even though as you just said half the people think it is that causing the problems. no one knows what they are doing really do they? Otherwise the problem would already have been resolved.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by JodieG
Hmmm coming from someone that has his old pc in his location? The fact is a lot of people here do just want a high pc. It's all good and well suggesting this that and the other but until it's been tried here we won't know if it would have the desired effect or not. I still think that removing pc could only be a good thing. Why do people have their old pc in their locations?

Why not? Yes, I like my postcount. But I don't, and neither does anyone I've seen, post purely to get a higher postcount.

Thus, removing the postcount will irritate those of us who like them, and do virtually nothing about whatever problem it is supposed to solve.

Soldato
Originally posted by MindYerBeak
Dons as well, sir, myself included. We all need to be brought back into line and look at the friendship angle which made OcUK different.
The problem is, back in the good old days there probably werent as many users on the forums - and more posters is going to mean more opinions meaning people arent going to agree with each other quite as much.

And with the greater number of users will come a different type of users, maybe users now are more confident and willing to share their thoughts and opinions, rather than disagree and be scared to post

Associate
Abolish Post Counts - they aren't needed. There is a psycology behind them in that people think that they will gain respect by having a high post count. To me they gain respect by helping others out and providing knowledge.

Instantly Delete Rediculous Threads - such as "OMG it's raining!" & "Sound Of Music - tonight @ 21:00 hrs Channel 3 Uk terestial TV" - well, no it's not in my sunny climate actually, and if I wanted to know what was on the telly I wouldn't be here in front of the pc... (I'm sure you get the idea on what is interesting and what is not)

Place a "Try Google First" sticky at the top - education for the nation ;)

I'll dream up a few more sensibilities later to get the kids off the board and out playing with their hoop & stcks :D mmmwahaaahaaahaaa
008.gif

Soldato
Sorry MYB but some of the things there are just plain never gonna happen,

"Everything was Flower Power back then and everyone loved each other"

Thats all very well, but in my little community here at college, everyone likes each other, does that mean that we should build a wall around us to keep out other people in the hope that nasty people wont join it?

"Rid ourselves of argumentative and backbiting posters with stringent suspensions/bans similar to MM. Take no prisoners."

Back-biting, fair enough, argumentative though? So ban people for have different points of view, not sure if this is how you meant it but that what it sounds like??

"it's been invaded by posters who no longer see eye to eye" - Again, what do you expect, as a community grows, so do the amount of viewpoints/opinions, if you dont like people who dont match your views then that isnt their fault!

"It's a challenge we should accept to try and restore it back to it's former glory"

Im guessing the vast majority of users on here have no idea of the 'former glory' you so reverently speak of, from the time I have spent on here I think the OcUK forums are a fantastic source of discussions and opinions, and the more people that join to express their views on subjects, personally I have not experienced or seen any back-biting or insults, occasionally there have been things posted in the heat of a debate, but these are often retracted with apologies.

Sounds to me like you would rather registration was closed a few years back, to prevent the 'corruption' of the forums..

Soldato
Why not? Yes, I like my postcount. But I don't, and neither does anyone I've seen, post purely to get a higher postcount.

Thus, removing the postcount will irritate those of us who like them, and do virtually nothing about whatever problem it is supposed to solve.

That's all your opinion though, don't state your opinion like it's a fact because it isn't. None of us know if removing the pc here will make a difference, a lot of people seem to think it will but as I said until things are tried here we won't know.

Soldato
Post counts mean nothing...Abolishing them will do nothing but up the spam.

People dont spam to get a higher postcount, they do it get a name for themselves, to become well known on the forum. Some do it by spamming to hell and back and getting their name all over the place, some do it by posting very controversial threads etc..

Get rid of post counts and people will simply post more rubbish to get their name known. The post count is just a side effect of people wanting their name to be known.

Soldato
Originally posted by Balddog
Post counts mean nothing...Abolishing them will do nothing but up the spam.

People dont spam to get a higher postcount, they do it get a name for themselves, to become well known on the forum. Some do it by spamming to hell and back and getting their name all over the place, some do it by posting very controversial threads etc..

Get rid of post counts and people will simply post more rubbish to get their name known. The post count is just a side effect of people wanting their name to be known.

I disagree, I think removing pc will stop people spamming, maybe there would be an initial spam session but I think in the long term it would be better. I just don't see the point in pc at all. None of us really know anyway, just putting ideas in.

Soldato
I disagree, I think removing pc will stop people spamming, maybe there would be an initial spam session but I think in the long term it would be better. I just don't see the point in pc at all. None of us really know anyway, just putting ideas in.

We do know though...Its been done on several of the very large forums on the net. Post count is abolished and there are no checks on peoples posting after that. People with high post counts here get called spammers which slows them down for a while.

Soldato
What makes you think this?

Something called opinion just the same as why you think it won't work. It not working on other forums doesn't mean it won't here because they are different forums with different people and so cannot be truely compared that way. Anyway, I respect your opinion but mine differs, nothing wrong with that. There probably won't be any changes anyway :p

Permabanned
Originally posted by Rich_L
personally I have not experienced or seen any back-biting or insults, occasionally there have been things posted in the heat of a debate, but these are often retracted with apologies.

I have both seen and experienced it on numerous occasions, not always with apologies afterwards :) And before anyone says it, yes I've been guilty of it myself. Cutting down on the bitchiness would make the forums a more pleasant place to be; we could still argue different points of view while remaining civil - the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Soldato
Originally posted by Balddog
We do know though...Its been done on several of the very large forums on the net. Post count is abolished and there are no checks on peoples posting after that. People with high post counts here get called spammers which slows them down for a while.

I don't think different forums can be compared because they are different from this one and have different people. Surely the checks on posts made will be the same?

Man of Honour
Something called opinion just the same as why you think it won't work. It not working on other forums doesn't mean it won't here because they are different forums with different people and so cannot be truely compared that way. Anyway, I respect your opinion but mine differs, nothing wrong with that. There probably won't be any changes anyway :p

Er no, that wasn't what I asked.

Something must have led you to arrive at the opinion you did. What?

Soldato
I don't think different forums can be compared because they are different from this one and have different people. Surely the checks on posts made will be the same?

Message board users are pretty much the same all over :) Most of them fit into set categories.

The checks wont be there because you wont be able to see that someone has been spamming. You might think you see their name around but you cant say, oh look, gilly has 10,000 posts, what a spamming foolio. Like you can here :)

Soldato
It's not all bad - I still think that these forums are generally the most intelligent I've ever been a member of. Yes, that might be hard to believe when you see thread after thread of 'this is my sandwich' topics in GD, but when a serious topic comes up people do discuss it intelligently and in a civil manner - for example, the thread on gun laws recently.

The impression I do get, however, is a slight lack of identity - one which MYB has righltly pointed out. The OcUK forums don't really feel very homelike at the moment, which is not necessarily to say that they are spiralling into destruction. I think that we've lost our way slightly, and lost some sort of focus - for example, when I first joined I got to know who MYB was and recognise him instantly from all his often-crazy and highly h'amusing threads. I rarely, very rarely see those any more, so newcomers to the forums are much less likely to be familiar with his identity.

It's almost a case of being a victim of our own success; we have so many regular posters now that the sense of community has blurred a little. I don't think we need more rules or rule changes, just a bit of effort to inject some identity and life back into the forums.

Incidentally, re. post counts: am I the only one who looks first at the name, then the sig of a member, and very very rarely at their postcount? If I don't recognise someone I might check their postcount to see if they are an uncommon poster, but that is about it.

I'm mostly with MYB on this one, but I just wanted to add my views (don't we all?)...

arty

P.S This is just how I see things, so don't flame me if you think I am incorrect.

Soldato
Hehe indeed dirtydog,

I certainly think that the 'increase' in bitchiness has got something to do with the war. A lot of the threads contain arguments from people who to be frank arent going to change their opinion, and know that the people on the other side arent going to change theirs either! ;)

Personally I really enjoy these threads, sometimes playing a devils advocate, sometimes saying what I really believe, and enjoy the resulting debate that ensues.

However, something which I thought was very arrogant and unfriendly was the 'gloating' by some of the pro-war crowd (you know who you are) after the liberation of Iraq, with respect to the scenes in Baghdad etc , the 'told you so' mentality really should be left in the playground people, fun as it is to crow about how 'right' you were, it isnt particularly civil nor friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom