Votes: 85 43.8%
  • No, a change is required.

Votes: 109 56.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Originally posted by Rich_L
However, something which I thought was very arrogant and unfriendly was the 'gloating' by some of the pro-war crowd (you know who you are) after the liberation of Iraq, with respect to the scenes in Baghdad etc , the 'told you so' mentality really should be left in the playground people, fun as it is to crow about how 'right' you were, it isnt particularly civil nor friendly.

Both sides have been guilty of gloating and I told you so.

Soldato
Now now, stay on topic....:rolleyes: ;)

*edit*

Agreed Balddog, and its quite unpleasant to see on both sides, were it not for the war, these posters would be getting on pretty well no doubt and contributing civilly.

I think that this issue which provokes strong emotions in many posters has led to the 'bitchiness' which has been evidenced recently. Im betting that once the war is all done and dusted, people will get back to being nice to each other and talking about Beckhams latest haircut and things like that :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
I certainly think that the 'increase' in bitchiness has got something to do with the war. A lot of the threads contain arguments from people who to be frank arent going to change their opinion, and know that the people on the other side arent going to change theirs either! ;)

Yep feelings have been running high on both 'sides' of the debate, for months now :) Hardly surprising I guess, with such a serious subject.

Most of the time the debate has been vigorous but civil, but occasionally insults / personal attacks have been employed, ie. attacking the poster rather than what he or she has said, and saying why they are wrong..

edit - and some of the 'told you so' posts/threads have been quite provocative / inflammatory , in my opinion.

Soldato
Sorry MYB but some of the things there are just plain never gonna happen,

"Everything was Flower Power back then and everyone loved each other"

Thats all very well, but in my little community here at college, everyone likes each other, does that mean that we should build a wall around us to keep out other people in the hope that nasty people wont join it?

"Rid ourselves of argumentative and backbiting posters with stringent suspensions/bans similar to MM. Take no prisoners."

Back-biting, fair enough, argumentative though? So ban people for have different points of view, not sure if this is how you meant it but that what it sounds like??

"it's been invaded by posters who no longer see eye to eye" - Again, what do you expect, as a community grows, so do the amount of viewpoints/opinions, if you dont like people who dont match your views then that isnt their fault!

"It's a challenge we should accept to try and restore it back to it's former glory"

Im guessing the vast majority of users on here have no idea of the 'former glory' you so reverently speak of, from the time I have spent on here I think the OcUK forums are a fantastic source of discussions and opinions, and the more people that join to express their views on subjects, personally I have not experienced or seen any back-biting or insults, occasionally there have been things posted in the heat of a debate, but these are often retracted with apologies.

Sounds to me like you would rather registration was closed a few years back, to prevent the 'corruption' of the forums..

Why do you suppose I post less and less in GD nowadays? It's like walking on eggshells sometimes, where anything you say will offend another. That's not the way it used to be. People gave creditable explanations as to why they disagree, as opposed to flaming, which seems to be the norm these days. Those who are considered to annoy the majority of GD posters should be punished and admonished.

Friendship is something that should be nurtured and encouraged. Do you see GD as being a H:Dppy Bunny forum? I remember a time when it was. If I said something offensive in those days I was given a Slap/Severe Spanking, all in good jest and we'd always apologise to one another afterwards. When was the last time you saw an apology in GD?

Closing registrations would serve no purpose. It's the attitude of GD that needs to be looked at, not how many join.

Soldato
With respect to postcounts, and I've said it a million times in the past: Gameplay stopped postcounts, the result being that the forums were turned into a desert and Gameplay was forced to close due to bankruptcy. Ban postcounts at your peril. You've been warned.

Soldato
I appolagise to anyone that feels I should:) Debate is one thing, falling out and getting personal is not very big or clever. This is a very excellant forum, all parts. I have learned more here about my computer than , well anywhere else, I 've also had good laughs reading, and participating in GD as well. Long may it live. I can respect and admire the people that don't take my viewpoint, and some of their sources are educational, if not sometimes as lame as mine:D Enjoy your day peeps. I generally don't care what is done with post counts, with them or without them I will still come here.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Bony Maloney
I appolagise to anyone that feels I should:) Debate is one thing, falling out and getting personal is not very big or clever. This is a very excellant forum, all parts. I have learned more here about my computer than , well anywhere else, I 've also had good laughs reading, and participating in GD as well. Long may it live. I can respect and admire the people that don't take my viewpoint, and some of their sources are educational, if not sometimes as lame as mine:D Enjoy your day peeps. I generally don't care what is done with post counts, with them or without them I will still come here.

Couldn't have said it better!!

Also, i feel what MYB is saying now, about walking on Egg shells because some people just take everying as personally offensive when you don't agree with them.

Associate
Originally posted by Over Clocker

Also, i feel what MYB is saying now, about walking on Egg shells because some people just take everying as personally offensive when you don't agree with them.

I think it's a matter of how you disagree with them though, there is a fine art in doing it.

One of the problems with forums is it is very difficult to truly convey intent and feelings when discussing topics. Some people can come off as very.....abrasive and to the point which can easily be taken the wrong way. Smilies can help, but many people for whatever reason refuse to use them.

Last edited:
Associate
Originally posted by Over Clocker

Yes you all be thick skinned like me ( or is that thick headed :D )

Dont get rid of postcount.........at least until i reach 500 ;)

Soldato
I quite like GD the way it is, apart from some of the spam, reading some of the serious threads on here is how i pass boring afternoons in college lecturers :)

Soldato
There was a time when I didn't need to use a Smiley, even did a Poll on it with an affirmative no-no. Nowadays some of my posts are jumped on and my lack of Smileys criticised.

Associate
I think thats partly due to you posting less. The majority of posters used to know you and knew what to expect. Now there are many new posters who don't.

People are too highly strung :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Grouch
I think thats partly due to you posting less. The majority of posters used to know you and knew what to expect. Now there are many new posters who don't.

People are too highly strung :)

Nope, I don't think it's that. I think it's the amount of hostility that has been accepted on these forums.

Soldato
Originally posted by MindYerBeak
There was a time when I didn't need to use a Smiley, even did a Poll on it with an affirmative no-no. Nowadays some of my posts are jumped on and my lack of Smileys criticised.
Ban them all. Then people would have to put more effort into their posts to ensure people got the right end of the stick

Permabanned
If smileys aren't used, how else are we to know how a certain post or comment was meant, if it could be construed in several different ways? We can't go by body language, facial expressions, tone of voice.. what else is there? Smileys are useful and .. fun ;)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by dirtydog
If smileys aren't used, how else are we to know how a certain post or comment was meant, if it could be construed in several different ways? We can't go by body language, facial expressions, tone of voice.. what else is there? Smileys are useful and .. fun ;)

I agree with that.

But, sometimes i just feel "ooh i better add a smiley or they will get offended" (not you DD;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom