Do you think it is worth it to become Microsoft Azure and 365 certified?

Associate
I've just signed up to the Microsoft virtual lecture for the AZ-900 on the 1st -2nd June, it's over 2days and only 2.5hrs long, once completed we are able to sit the exam free of charge, I assume we get given a exam voucher! There are loads of fundamental course on there as well. Worth doing just to be able to sit the exams for free! Saves me £70 I guess.

Soldato
Soldato
Got my Azure Administrator Associate cert last week after my last major MS cert was MCSE Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Certification back in 2018.

Lets see how this plays out in the current job market.

Associate
Got my Azure Administrator Associate cert last week after my last major MS cert was MCSE Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Certification back in 2018.

Lets see how this plays out in the current job market.

Congratulations! How did you find the exam?

I'm studying for the AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals, only issue I have is I'm not currently working in IT. But hopefully having some certs when applying for a role will help my chances, I used to do desk side support 10 years ago for LloydsTSB before being made redundant.. It's now time to get back to IT!

Soldato
Congratulations! How did you find the exam?

I'm studying for the AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals, only issue I have is I'm not currently working in IT. But hopefully having some certs when applying for a role will help my chances, I used to do desk side support 10 years ago for LloydsTSB before being made redundant.. It's now time to get back to IT!

Thanks.

It was difficult because MS has an crappy way of asking questions for something basic but I have done enough MS exams I know what to expect.

You will find AZ-900 easy as its an non technical exam. Only learn the concepts, what they are and what they do.

When you get to AZ-104, that's difficult as its all technical and you need to know how to use Azure.

Associate
Just adding my +1 - I run a small msp, and we always look for engineers with 365 and azure experience, ideally certified. I did a couple of mcse and ccna when I started out, and still using what I learned every day - 20+ years later

Associate
Just adding my +1 - I run a small msp, and we always look for engineers with 365 and azure experience, ideally certified. I did a couple of mcse and ccna when I started out, and still using what I learned every day - 20+ years later

Thanks for the input!

I'm trying at the moment to get back into IT, just about to write my Azure Az900 exam, then possibly look at CCNA as I have no network experience at all.. the cloud is definitely the route I want to go down, any tips you could help.with or point me in the right direction?

Associate
Thanks for the input!

I'm trying at the moment to get back into IT, just about to write my Azure Az900 exam, then possibly look at CCNA as I have no network experience at all.. the cloud is definitely the route I want to go down, any tips you could help.with or point me in the right direction?
Well I did the online course version before they formalised as an exam. The free online courses were slow but basically all I needed.

Re. Ccna - I did three times before moving onto ccnp, but that was over 10 yrs ago. I'd say that that's a tip in itself - the Cisco exams last 3 years, but can be renewed by an equal or higher level exam (check them as the partner ones don't count). Ccna used to be all ip subnets but seems to have been made more general knowledge and so covers a huge curriculum which is the main reason it's difficult, whereas ccnp is more focussed. At least it was - previous generation was really enjoyable, particularly tshoot. The new ccnp - start with encor. Passed in Feb renewing all my other Cisco certs (ccda, voice, etc,). It's more like the ccna now with no labs at all, and loads of focus on SDN and DNA.
Whilst Cisco is all about Cisco, we value it also because cli helps with learning Linux, and good solid general networking is just solidly useful all the time (like with DNS)...

Caporegime
I just passed my AZ900 on the second attempt. On the first attempt I underestimated it and tried to do a minimum effort job, which didn't work and I failed thanks to a lot of obscure questions that really test some specific areas of knowledge. Basically I just read the MS online material then waited 1 month do do the test and forgot most of what I'd read. Doh.

For the second and more successful attempt I just watched all of the Youtube vids from this guy Adam Marczak which are very well presented and explained and it was enough to scrape a pass https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGjZwEtPN7j-Q59JYso3L4_yoCjj2syrM

It wasn't easy and I got a lot of tricky questions on very minor topics. Still, a pass is a pass. :D

Associate
I'm currently on the AZ-900 Azure cloud Fundamentals, did the Microsoft Learn, and now doing it through Skyline Academy, as they go a bit more in depth, however I think I'll struggle with networking side of it... so might have to look at some Networking material

Hey Mate, quick question Skyline Academy do you recommend it, I booked my exam for first weekend of March, I am pretty worried i've not given myself enough time and slightly panicing.

Im going to use the free material publish by Microsoft as well of course.

Cheers :)

Soldato
I found the az900 far harder than i was expecting, the pl900 was easier with less experience! i've got decent experience with azure so didnt do to much other than the odd ms learning/youtube video (the one linked above looks familiar!), i was just taking it for the sake of it and it was free :D its not overly technical but you do need to know the terminology, nuances and more in-depth knowledge of kubernetes than you'd expect for a high level exam....

giving yourself 2 months is probably overkill! 2 weeks is plenty if your just putting in a hour or so a day and with existing experience.

passed the ms100 last week and have the az104 this week, then the ms700 down the line and probably do the ms101 at some point to go along with the ms100 to get the full Enterprise Administrator Expert certificate.

Associate
I found the az900 far harder than i was expecting, the pl900 was easier with less experience! i've got decent experience with azure so didnt do to much other than the odd ms learning/youtube video (the one linked above looks familiar!), i was just taking it for the sake of it and it was free :D its not overly technical but you do need to know the terminology, nuances and more in-depth knowledge of kubernetes than you'd expect for a high level exam....

giving yourself 2 months is probably overkill! 2 weeks is plenty if your just putting in a hour or so a day and with existing experience.

passed the ms100 last week and have the az104 this week, then the ms700 down the line and probably do the ms101 at some point to go along with the ms100 to get the full Enterprise Administrator Expert certificate.

I booked before looking at the overview haha, I've started to light read the modulars and I will take it more seriously mid-feb. Im looking forward to AZ-104 is it bit more technical?

Soldato
I booked before looking at the overview haha, I've started to light read the modulars and I will take it more seriously mid-feb. Im looking forward to AZ-104 is it bit more technical?

If you've booked through pierson Vue then it's quite easy to move the bookings. I've always found if I give myself 3months to do something it will take 3 months!

Yeah the 104 is a bit of a bitch, failed it the first time a few months back with something like 686. That's gotta be 1 wrong question over the limit! Gutted.
There's a udemy course for the 104 that is really good.

Associate
If you've booked through pierson Vue then it's quite easy to move the bookings. I've always found if I give myself 3months to do something it will take 3 months!

Yeah the 104 is a bit of a bitch, failed it the first time a few months back with something like 686. That's gotta be 1 wrong question over the limit! Gutted.
There's a udemy course for the 104 that is really good.

I think, I will pull it forward once im ready - im just taking my time and going through the Material on MS Learning platform & Adam Marczak course on youtube this is theory so I know it's gonna need time XD

LizardKing do recommend a Udemy course or any online course, I think I will invest with the AZ-104 course as I probably need someone to talk me through it :) Thank you.

Soldato
Passed the 104, far to much emphasis on nuisances to geo limitations of resources and specific methods to rather niche migrations/backup/sku requirements for my liking turning it into a memory game vs actual working knowledge, either way a pass is a pass for the powers that be!
The Scott Duffy course is on point though!

Soldato
Our entire organisation has just starting moving to Azure, we are building the PoC now.
I'm going for the AZ 700 now followed by AZ 104, it is 30 years since I last took an exam!
Definitely worth doing
Amazon are the market leader in cloud, but Microsoft are growing fast as AAD was a key driver for us when we made the decision over which direction to go.
We are using ESI and pluralsight for training and re-skilling everyone.

Back
Top Bottom