Do you think this theory is true?

Associate
Why are people responding as if the OP means literally, physically faster? That's just daft...

The answer is yes, your perspective changes. I imagine if you're going through a tough time or really need that next paycheck, time would seem slow again.

Soldato
LMFAO. You kind of get used to Gaidin knowing everything better than anyone else. But this time he has me laughing my head off. :D

Why is that funny?

It seems perfectly reasonable to me. Your memory doesn't neccessarily work in a linear way so as you get older and your past experience grows it seems reasonable to suggest that it seems to have passed quicker than it did in reality.

It's simply a trick of perception between long term and short term memory.

Last edited:
Associate
Load of rubbish, who the hell can remember when they were 8, let alone 4?

I did sustain quite a few head injuries as a kid admittedly but I can't really see anyone remembering being that young.

I remember my first day at primary school age 4, but i don't think i suffered many head injuries as a kid :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I can remember kindergarten!
Learning to write on a4 paper with lines on it to help you capitalise and lower case the right height :D
OMG and playing in the garden of there too...

Soldato
I was thinking about this the other day at school , people say that each year goes faster then the last one?

So think , when you were 8 that year was a eighth of your life , right?
When you were 4 that year was a quarter of your life?
a eighth is smaller than a quarter so that year must have felt quicker , right?

It may sound stupid too some , but I feel theres some logic about it

So you're saying that your life slows down exponentially against age as you get older?

There could be be some truth in that. However also it's a matter of responsibility and priority - maturity. When you're younger your parents do things you don't have to so you have time to play. Later you're not worried about things and so you have fun with friends and find a partner. Then later you do more and more based on supporting the partner and family.. this could make it feel as if time is speeding up.

Soldato
Load of rubbish, who the hell can remember when they were 8, let alone 4?

I did sustain quite a few head injuries as a kid admittedly but I can't really see anyone remembering being that young.

First thing (I think) I can remember is being devastated when I was round at another childs house (I think I was about 3) and the other child knocked my small tower of bricks over with a fork. :( . He turned out to be a massive bully later on.

I think those head injuries affected you more than you suspect!

Soldato
I think he's right. This year has been 1/25th of my life, and as such by the end of it contains much less of a proportion of my memories and experiences than say my tenth year did. That was 10% of my entire life. Makes good enough sense to me.

It contains the exact same as your tenth year (currently, 1/25), when you were ten your 25th year was non existent :p

It's the perception of time that changes, which I guess is that the OP meant. Would help if he didn't word it like Karl Pilkington though.

Soldato
It contains the exact same as your tenth year (currently, 1/25), when you were ten your 25th year was non existent :p

It's the perception of time that changes, which I guess is that the OP meant. Would help if he didn't word it like Karl Pilkington though.

but it was 1/10th of his life at the time, and as memories are formed at the time, not 15 years later, that's what would count in memory terms.

Also, the more new and different things you experience, the more memories you form, but as you get older there is less and less stuff you haven't already done before.

Soldato
I think those head injuries affected you more than you suspect!
I cracked my head open 3 times on the same cabinet within the space of a couple of years, we've still got the cabinet :D

Ahh well, I don't wanna remember when I was young, it's undignified when you're that annoying. And I've not had any learning difficultys so screw it.

Associate
When you are 10 each year has been 1/10th of your life so far, but when you are 30 each year has been 1/30th of your life and so time appears to run more quickly. Also when you are younger you are experiencing may things for the first time and so they are more memorable. Also as you get older you often start doing repetative work and so the days blur together.

Associate
I can clearly remember many things from the age of 3 or 4 and the following years as I grew up. Long term memory is quite good but due to large amount of strong medication I'm now on for various things I find my short term memory is shot at.

When I was at school days seemed to last for ever, I started at 5 and left at 14 with no qualifications whatsoever, even failed my 11+ exam but I think the fact my father had died as the result of an accident some two weeks earlier may have had an effect on that.

I'm now 63 years of age and in many ways feel the same as when I was in my teens/ twenties/ thirties except of course for my aches and pains but the days do seem to fly by even though most of the time I'm housebound due to mobility problems. I sleep very little, maybe two or three hours at night with a couple of sessions through the day lasting one hour or less each time at the most.

I too can't believe it's six months since last Christmas, Summer is here and I've already started to put a few pennies away each month for my two grandchildren for next Christmas, it will be here before I realise, I will then be 64 and soon I'll be looking back from my seventies. So all you young guys make the most of what you have now, don't waste your time, you will be up to my (and a few other members on here) age and wonder where it's all gone. :)

Soldato
It's all perception. It's the old, "time flies when you're having fun" and the opposite. As for relative time, no, not on this scale to be of any use whatsoever. You'd need something with an insane amount of mass or very high speeds to try even bring this into the conversation, iirc.

Back
Top Bottom