Do you wanna be rich or happy?

Soldato
In all honesty, the more money I earn, the more careful I start to become with it, and one of my friends labelled me the other day as "being tight". I slightly agreed with him. Maybe it is because I earn more than him, but I personally would prefer to have my health, family and happiness over money.
You have to be very lucky or clever to be able to earn enough money to get what you want and be comfortable whilst not working too hard so that is stresses you and your family life out.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
HEADRAT said:
So I wonder what people call "rich":-

1. Earns over £30K
2. Earns over £60K
3. Earns over £90K
4. Earns over £120K
5. Earns >£150K

?

HEADRAT
Well, in the comments I've made about the problems of bering rich, I certainly wasn't talking about 1). It would have to be 5), and I wasn't referring to anything close to £150k either.

I also agree with Beansprout about using net worth. Earnings is actually a fairly poor measure by which to judge wealth, as it takes no account of outgoings. There's an old adage that says something like "Income > Outgoings = Happiness, and Outgoings > Income = Misery", and it applies whether that income is £20k or £200k.

Also, having a £1,000,000 house isn't that impressive if it turns out that you owe £975,000 on the mortgage, and can't afford the monthly payments. That isn't "wealth", despite perhaps being a paper millionaire. It's a damn great millstone round your neck. Owning that same house, free of mortgage, is a different matter. Whether your earnings are 1) or 5) says nothing about the ownership and mortgage statement of that house. I've even known a few people with good earnings, including the £150k level, where they spent every last bean trying to keep up the image of a lifestyle (fancy house/flat, Porsche, etc) but didn't actually own a thing beyond what they stood up in. The house/flat was rented, the Porsche leased, etc. Are they "rich"? Not in my book they aren't. A bit stupid maybe, but not rich.

Soldato
I would want to be rich..(presuming rich is having enough money to never work again. Thats what I woudl call rich) that way... I would not have to work...ever. I could have everything I ever wanted.

Then I would be happier than I am now. So being rich also equals happiness. To me anyhow.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Beansprout said:
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds and six pence, result misery.

David Copperfield, 1849
That's the one. And me a Dicken's fan and forgetting that. :rolleyes: :o

:D

Soldato
whoever said that money cant buy happiness was poor.

heh has the thread starter been dreaming about winning the lottery on friday ;)

Soldato
I'd like to be getting around £35+ so I can support my wife and kids, don't see much use of happyness if there's no money, or vice versa.

Associate
I'm torn - my depression is made worse by stress, SAD, chronic headaches and immense self-hate. If I had money I could at least go part way to sorting out some of these things.
But on the other hand, part of me is quite content as I am now: I have a lovely home with lots of on-going decoration projects, I have a job I enjoy and I have Mic.

Of course I would never say no if someone wanted to give me a load of money, but I honestly don't think it is the be all and end all of life

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Driving makes me happy. But if i was rich i could buy any car i want and drive something like the veroyn, then i would be really really happy :D

Man of Honour
If I was rich, I'd be happy.

Having more money frees up more time for doing things you enjoy - provided of course, that you don't let greed take over, and start "running harder on the treadmill" as Sequoia puts it. Essentially you need the self discipline to reach a level of wealth that you are satisfied with so that you don't keep striving to make more and more money.

When these kind of discussion take place, people usually like to throw up examples of rich people who became unhappy. But those people are almost invariably celebrities to some degree. What about all the millionaires we never hear about, with the mansion and loving family?

Assuming nothing else changed independently like I developed a fatal illness or something like that.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
HangTime said:
.... Essentially you need the self discipline to reach a level of wealth that you are satisfied with so that you don't keep striving to make more and more money ....
Yes. Money needs to be seen as a means to an end, not an end in it's own right.

HangTime said:
When these kind of discussion take place, people usually like to throw up examples of rich people who became unhappy. But those people are almost invariably celebrities to some degree. What about all the millionaires we never hear about, with the mansion and loving family?
Indeed. But speaking personally, I certainly haven't said that money isn't generally a nice thing to have, because it is. What I've said is that it doesn't buy happiness, and is no guarantee of it. It doesn't usually preclude happiness either and it does, undoubtedly, ease many of the mundane pressures of life, provided you use it sensibly. If you ease those pressures, you have an easier path to happiness, but (unless you're incredibly shallow), can't buy it. Happiness, to me at least, is about a loving partner and family. I'd rather have that than all the money a thousand people could ever spend, and all the material things that implies. I'd MUCH rather have that family, and that happiness and have a comfortable, surburban standard of living than be a miserable, lonely old billionaire. Of course, having that loving partner and family, contentment and happiness AND a few billion quid is even better. :D

But however much money you have, trying to live beyond your means is generally a recipe for stress and misery. About the only people exempt from that are that handful of multi-billionaires that are so fabulously wealthy that there is literaly nothing money can buy that they can't afford without even noticing the expenditure! And that isn't just "rich", by my definitions. It's super-ultra-mega rich .... and then some.

Soldato
Been having this debate at work in kind. Thing that makes me laugh is those guys n gals who say "If I won the Lottery it wouldn't change me" or "If I won the big one I wouldn't want it all" Are you going to ask them to make the cheque out for just half or something.

Anyway back on topic.

For me it all depends on what you view as making you happy. Obviously material wealth can help you attain the toys, gizomos, houses cars, holidays etc. When is it enough though ? When does having enough free time to do all the things you like become too much time so that you don't enjoy them ? Ultimately you are replacing one routine with another. We are all sensitive vulnerable beings. Regardless of £1.00 in the bank or a million pound in the bank, human suffering is always relative to the persons circumstances.

If your idea of happiness is having everything you have always wanted then wealth will bring you that happiness. Personally I would rather be happy with what I have got at the moment. Sanctamonious as it sounds my life is rich with what I have in it at the moment. I'll worry about being materially rich if and when it happens ;)

Man of Honour
I would prefeer to be happy, However having money makes it far easier to be happy, you don't have to worry about bills or going to a job you hate ect ect.. Money allows you to do a job or something else you enjoy doing.

Yeh if you get rich, quite your job and just sit around at home you will hate it. So you use wealth to get into a job you really enjoy doing..

Wise Guy
Permabanned
AcidHell2 said:
I would prefeer to be happy, However having money makes it far easier to be happy, you don't have to worry about bills or going to a job you hate ect ect.. Money allows you to do a job or something else you enjoy doing.

Yeh if you get rich, quite your job and just sit around at home you will hate it. So you use wealth to get into a job you really enjoy doing..
Erm .... to a point. But bear in mind that as income goes up, so does standard of living, and therefore expectations, and therefore so do the size of the bills.

I've known some people with fairly substantial incomes still struggle to meet their bills, because they tried to live beyond their admittedly substantial means. Maybe it's ego? Maybe greed?

I've also known people for whom some financial success seemed to breed more greed than happiness and they forgot that if you can make it, you can lose it too. For instance, one aquaintance that had made about £5 million decided to risk everything on a business venture that, frankly, was a bit out of his league. If it had worked, he'd have made a lot from it but it didn't and as a result, he lost everything. That means cars, house, etc ..... and ultimately wife.

He was greedy. Instead of accepting that he was wealthy and seeking to grow that wealth steadily and safely, he risked all. Personally, I don't understand why. Neither did his wife. His money certainly didn't bring him happiness.

Soldato
:o All these people that want to be me! :p

I would rather be happy than rich, I don't really care about material possessions a whole lot so it would be largely wasted on me I figure. Enough money to pay the bills and a reasonable standard of living in a job that I enjoy and has reasonable hours is perfectly fine with me, certainly at the moment. The idea of working stupid hours in your twenties and thirties so you can retire at 40 seems crazy to me.

Back
Top Bottom