• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dodgey 1800xt?

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'm having really random problems with my 1800xt. I keep getting the "tartan effect" all over my screen sometimes and then either vpu recover saves it or the pc crashes and restarts.

This mainly happens in games (doom 3, ut2004) but also on my desktop sometimes too. It will get progressively worse until I can't even get past a games menu or into the windows desktop without it rebooting 3 times.

Then, I turn the PC off and swap the card into my second PCI-E slot and it works perfectly well again for a day or so before going the same way. Put it back in the first slot again and the same thing happens.

Its all part of a brand new rig I brought from ocuk back in Jan, Asus A8N32-sli, oc-z 2gb ram, amd x2 4400 and an ocz 530w psu.

I've sent back the card to ocuk but they sent it back to me saying it worked fine, I have tried my X1600 in there and it works fine for ages.

My card seems to run OK temp wise, 60 idle as i speak in a cool room and 70 after 10 mins in doom. Also I get tartan on the log in screen sometimes when i first start my pc in the morning so it would be pretty cold then.

EVERYTHING in my system is running at stock - always has been, I attempted the ati overdrive test thing to see what it could do a few times but it always crashed.

As you can see I've had a lot of time to try and attack this from every angle (including 3 versions of drivers) but I just can't understand it at all. Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom before I send this back to OcUK again. I REALLY don't like tartan and I'm not a fan of swapping my card between slots every day to make it work.

Many thanks

Dave

Last edited:
Soldato
It definitely sounds like the card is borked to me. The reason OcUK probably said it's fine is because, as you said, it's sometimes fine for a few days for you and then goes on the blink.

If you want my opinion, you should RMA direct to the company who made it for proper testing. I am not faulting OcUKs methods, but a few runs in 3D Mark is not good enough all the time.

Back
Top Bottom