Votes: 225 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 304 57.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Originally posted by Deadly Ferret
Is it purely just a concept, or can it be tangible in some way? :)

The infinite can be tangible in terms of representing the quantity of stupidity demonstrated by certain members of this board :)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Guv
yes.

X=(0.9r x 2)
10x = (9.9r x 2)
9x = (9 x 2)
x = (1 x 2)
x = 2

but surely if it is that .9r goes to the last possible 9 available in the known universe it must end somewhere ?

and if it does 2 * .9r is going to end up at 1.9999r then an 8 at the end is it not ? so its going to be even farther away from a whole number than 0.9r ?

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Fusion
The infinite can be tangible in terms of representing the quantity of stupidity demonstrated by certain members of this board :)

actually i would say that the fact that we are managing to put forward arguments as to why 0.9r does not = 1 while being civil and trying to understand the other argument i.e philoshopical rather than being closed minded enough to make such a statement as above says a lot more for us than you.

Associate
Originally posted by memphisto
but surely if it is that .9r goes to the last possible 9 available in the known universe it must end somewhere ?
Yeah, I've always got a big 'bag' of numbers at the ready - just in case we run out.

:p :rolleyes: ;)

Don
and if it does 2 * .9r is going to end up at 1.9999r then an 8 at the end is it not ? so its going to be even farther away from a whole number than 0.9r ?

How can you stick an 8 on the end of something that doesn't have an end?

Jokester

Soldato
actually i would say that the fact that we are managing to put forward arguments as to why 0.9r does not = 1 while being civil and trying to understand the other argument i.e philoshopical rather than being closed minded enough to make such a statement as above says a lot more for us than you.

What makes you think I was aiming the comment at you? :)

Guilty conscience? ;)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Fusion

Thankyou but I said infinity, not the infinite. The two are different things, but then I'm sure you know that as doubtless you're not one of those certain members you mentioned.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by jokester
You don't have to, rounding implies inaccuracy and 0.9r is exactly equal to 1.

Jokester

well surely that impiels innaccuracy as well ? maybe its just me maybe its because i dont understand the logic but on paper or in my head when i see 0.9r

I see 0.9r I dont see 1

Even if the 9 goes on for ever i see a 0. with a helluva a lot of 9's behind it maybe when you see 0.9r you see 1

Cant really see how either side can ever win this argument tbh.

Man of Honour
0.9r
means

0.9 with as many 9s on the end you can never ever reach the end

0.9*2

would =

1.9r8

an endless supply of 9s onthe end with an 8 but youll never get the 8 cos the 9s are reacuring.

So look at it logical 0.9r is not 1 even though stupid maths stuff says it is it i snot.

You have an endless supply of 9s
so youl aways have the coresponding 0.0r1 to make it to 1

Man of Honour
Originally posted by AcidHell2
0.9r
means

0.9 with as many 9s on the end you can never ever reach the end

0.9*2

would =

1.9r8

an endless supply of 9s onthe end with an 8 but youll never get the 8 cos the 9s are reacuring.

So look at it logical 0.9r is not 1 even though stupid maths stuff says it is it i snot.

You have an endless supply of 9s
so youl aways have the coresponding 0.0r1 to make it to 1

I like it, sounds good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom