Does 8GB affect 32 bit OS performance

Associate
Just about to start a new build First time in 6 years from WINXP I am thinking of starting with a WIN7 32 bit install with the option to go to to a 64bit in the future So if I fit some Samsung 8/16 GB sticks would would this adversely affect a my WIN7 32 bit setup or should I aim for just 4GB to start with

Thanks

Associate
Having 8 or 16gb in your machine wont affect performance if you use win 7 32bit. But unless you need 32bit only id suggest going straight for 64bit to make use of the ram. All comes down to what you do, how many appz you run at once, how much memory those appz willl use.

But no having 8 or 16gb of ram will not affect 32bit os performance.

Associate
To be honest with you mate, there is no real point building a new system with a 32bit Win7 OS.

Why don't you just go for 64bit?
Is there a specific reason you want 32bit?

If you go 64 you can have a lot more memory depending on which version of the OS you
get, but that depends what you are using the system for anyway.

Soldato
2^32-1= 4,2949,67295b = 4gb. So you'll be limited by the OS. Why 32 bit 7? It's very pointless to use 32 bit (I can understand if it's XP) but 64 bit pretty much dominates the entire 7 market.

A 32 bit key will also work on a 64 bit install. So if you already have the 32 bit copy, just download the 64 bit ISO and install that.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
To be honest with you mate, there is no real point building a new system with a 32bit Win7 OS.

Why don't you just go for 64bit?
Is there a specific reason you want 32bit?

If you go 64 you can have a lot more memory depending on which version of the OS you
get, but that depends what you are using the system for anyway.

I was going to go sraight for 64 bit until I discovered that some security apps are not quite as effective eg Sandboxie I wanted to have the options for both versions and be sure that 8 or 16GB would not slow things down or cause problems under 32 bit (as I read elsewhere that it might)

Associate
That uses low level (BIOS/Hardware) calls to turn the wasted RAM into a RAM disk. Still very pointless IMO, as 4GB is a bit low for a power user nowadays.

It actually uses high level api calls from within Windows. It was just to show that all is not lost by starting with 32bit Windows.

Associate
I recently upgraded a friends machine with Windows 7. I made a triple boot machine, his old XP 32 bit, Win7 32 and Win7 64 retail. He had 8GB ram and didn't realise that 32bit only uses 3.5GB. He was concerned that some of his Video applications wouldn't work on 64bit. That was 6 months ago. The update is that he has only used XP (old habits) and Win7 64 as he found the apps worked fine and he has access to the additional ram.

Soldato
I was going to go sraight for 64 bit until I discovered that some security apps are not quite as effective eg Sandboxie I wanted to have the options for both versions and be sure that 8 or 16GB would not slow things down or cause problems under 32 bit (as I read elsewhere that it might)

Source for this? I do not believe in the slightest.

OcUK Staff
Am doing some benches later I will show you. Its fact some benches are faster on 32 bit OS some on 64 bit OS. Also version of OS makes a massive difference eg XP vs Vista vs 7

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom