Does anybody on here own an E46 330i?

Man of Honour
I'm quite picky about looking at receipts etc before I buy a car!! EG when I got my 330 it had recently had the brakes done, Inspection II was done and a few more bits. I've only had to get the front bushes done so far, and Oil service.

You are where I was when I got mine that - last service was an Ins2, first I did was an Oil Service, was really rather reasonable.

Then I replaced the entire cooling system :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16719714 said:
You are where I was when I got mine that - last service was an Ins2, first I did was an Oil Service, was really rather reasonable.

Then I replaced the entire cooling system :p

Just curious as to whats gone wrong on yours? I think (from memory) you've had the cooling system, the propshaft thing, the heater....anything else?

I may be in a position to change cars myself in coming months and the lure of a 3 litre 3 or 5 is strong, but I doubt my budget will stretch to an E60 or E90...but the reliability and running costs issue is a concern.

Man of Honour
Over 4 years...

Under warranty..

Auxillary Pusher fan (06)
Propshaft Centre bearing (06)
Gearbox return spring (06)

Out of my pocket..

Cooling system (07 and 09)
Heater Blower Motor (08)
1x wheel bearing (07)
Rocker cover gasket (09)
Suspension (08)
Clutch (10)
Rear bushes (07)

Stuff that arguably needed doing and does on most but some people just dont bother with..

VANOS seal refurb (10)
Crankcase Vent system (10)

I think thats it. The wheel bearing was arguably just a mileage thing but the rest is pretty much common stuff that affects all of them regardless of mileage.

Routine maintenance:

Oil Service (2006)
Inspection 1 (2007)
Oil Service (2009)
Inspection 2 (Next month)

2x Brake Fluid changes, 1x Coolant change

4 seats of rear tyres, 2 sets of front tyres (Whats that, £1500ish?)

Remember - mine was only 4 years old when I got it, was and still is in perfect condition and had perfect BMW history. These days they are all at least twice that age and although many have lower mileage you wont find any that literally just sat on the Motorway as they are too old now.

Is it worth every penny? Yes. Would I have bought anything else given hindsight? Absolutely not. Is it a good choice for everyone? No.

Last edited:
Associate
[TW]Fox;16719944 said:
Over 4 years...

Under warranty..

Auxillary Pusher fan (06)
Propshaft Centre bearing (06)
Gearbox return spring (06)

Out of my pocket..

Cooling system (07 and 09)
Heater Blower Motor (08)
1x wheel bearing (07)
Rocker cover gasket (09)
Suspension (08)
Clutch (10)
Rear bushes (07)

Stuff that arguably needed doing and does on most but some people just dont bother with..

VANOS seal refurb (10)
Crankcase Vent system (10)

I think thats it. The wheel bearing was arguably just a mileage thing but the rest is pretty much common stuff that affects all of them regardless of mileage.

Routine maintenance:

Oil Service (2006)
Inspection 1 (2007)
Oil Service (2009)
Inspection 2 (Next month)

2x Brake Fluid changes, 1x Coolant change

4 seats of rear tyres, 2 sets of front tyres (Whats that, £1500ish?)

Remember - mine was only 4 years old when I got it, was and still is in perfect condition and had perfect BMW history. These days they are all at least twice that age and although many have lower mileage you wont find any that literally just sat on the Motorway as they are too old now.

Is it worth every penny? Yes. Would I have bought anything else given hindsight? Absolutely not. Is it a good choice for everyone? No.

Should have got a 206 :D

Back
Top Bottom