Does anyone else notice this...

Associate
Wow didn't think other people had this. Never really spoke to anyone because I couldn't really explain it.
I remember one time when I was young laying in bed and feeling like the distance to objects in my room was father away than they were. I remeber freaking out and waking my parents. I still get it sometimes now,nearly always at night. Sometimes get it when im watching the tv and peoples heads seem bigger or smaller,.its weired hard to explain, or the distance doesnt seem in proportion..

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Wow didn't think other people had this. Never really spoke to anyone because I couldn't really explain it.
I remember one time when I was young laying in bed and feeling like the distance to objects in my room was father away than they were. I remeber freaking out and waking my parents. I still get it sometimes now,nearly always at night. Sometimes get it when im watching the tv and peoples heads seem bigger or smaller,.its weired hard to explain, or the distance doesnt seem in proportion..

That's exactly the 'perspective' thing I used to have. It'd be interesting for a true scientific explanation actually, or even to name it! :D

I'd wager a strong guess that it's to do with normal brain development.

Soldato

I had similar, but it affected me in dreams. I would dream about an object on the shelf in my room, and all of a sudden it would appear really close to me, and I would feel like I was floating. Usually woke up screaming for my parents. If the dream ever went on I rose up from my bed (in the dream), I would turn around, and out of a shoebox would float my dads head. God it was strange.

However, I love the feeling of blackness closing in when I'm lying in bed about to fall asleep. I've noticed sometimes that sounds become "far away". It's very odd but a strangely wonderful feeling.

Caporegime
Sigworthy, right there.

And to think I actually tried to phrase the sentence to NOT make it sound dodgy... :o :p

That's exactly the 'perspective' thing I used to have. It'd be interesting for a true scientific explanation actually, or even to name it! :D

Quite likely, or maybe something to do with your inner ear bones or something silly like that.

Soldato
I can normally induce states like this simply by relaxing and sort of unfocusing my mind if that makes sense.

Yeah im pretty sure i can as well now i think about it, it's an odd kind of concentration or alternate mental state, i reckon we can do more with our own mental states then we realise, i think there must be loads of unknown triggers in the brain for this stuff, we just don't know it because most of it doesn't have obvious sensory feedback like moving your hand does.

There's two more weird ones id like to know if others have, one is where if i imagine putting my face up close to rocky or sharp surfaces i sometimes get a kind of headache around my eyes and forehead for as long as i think about it, though i won't get it if i forgot it can happen.

Another is when i was young i could induce the feelings you get in the onset of sleep paralysis, energy vibrations etc, can't remember how i did it now but it would be interesting to try as its really intense!

Associate

Haha freaky how so many people seem to experience it, i thought it was only me!

Used to happen a lot when i was younger, always at night and often when I was ill. All perspective would be lost, the far walls would seem miles away and close objects would seem even closer.

Used to get so freaked out I'd cry!

Caporegime
can anyone even read my damn posts, ive explained the syndrome?... lol

Haha I genuinely missed your post...:confused::p

EDIT:

wiki said:
it is often associated with migraines, brain tumors, and the use of psychoactive drugs

It can also present as the initial sign of the Epstein-Barr Virus (see mononucleosis).

Oh good, so I have major issues either way I look at it!... :p

Soldato
can anyone even read my damn posts, ive explained the syndrome?... lol

Oops sorry. Nailed it on the head there!

Alice in Wonderland syndrome (AIWS, named after the novel written by Lewis Carroll), also known as Todd's syndrome[1], is a disorienting neurological condition which affects human perception. Sufferers may experience micropsia, macropsia, and/or size distortion of other sensory modalities. A temporary condition, it is often associated with migraines, brain tumors :eek:, and the use of psychoactive drugs. :cool::o

Soldato
OP
I take it you have all had that thing where you are just about to fall asleep and are kind of dreaming but in that dream you trip or fall over and you kick out and wake yourself up?

Yes, but that's fairly common isn't it?

Any reason why my post got "stealth deleted" with no reason why? :confused:

Hmm, maybe someone thought I'd be offended? I actually found it quite funny.

Soldato
I only found out about AIWS a year ago, my crazy uni flatmate had exactly the same thing i had, but decided to research it and tell me about it randomly one day, was crazy meeting someone who knew exactly how it felt! we sat down for hours chatting about it all.

Associate
I have been getting this since I was a kid!

I also sometimes get the feeling when I am lying in bed that I have shrunk, and everything around feels smaller than it is usually.

oh my god. I thought I was the only one who got this. None of my mates knew what I was on about.
thanks for the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_syndrome link Psypher5. For all the things I remember when I was young that I've searched for the internet this is one I'd forgotten about

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom