1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone have a stocks and shares ISA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricochet J, 12 Aug 2009.

1. Ricochet J

Capodecina

How are you finding it?

Has your investments risen/fallen since you invested?

How long have you had your Stocks and Shares ISA for?

2. Vanilla

Sgarrista

I had a cash ISA. I moved it into a stocks and shares ISA about 3 months ago.

50% up so far :)

It would've taken years and years to get to this level just by leaving it in the cash ISA. Best bit is I wont pay capital gains tax on any of the profits.

3. Ricochet J

Capodecina

Who are you with? Could your investment go lower than the original amount you invested?

E.g. If you put £50 in, can it go lower than £50 since stocks and shares ISAs go up and down?

4. Kappa

Soldato

Did you choose the shares or is it in a managed fund?

5. Ricochet J

Capodecina

You don't get to choose the shares Kappa. (I may be corrected!)

6. Vanilla

Sgarrista

My cash ISA was with HSBC. I transferred this over to HSBC Investdirect (share dealing) which took about 6 weeks.

Your investment can go lower. You can lose it all. Higher gains, higher risks.

I transferred it in, bought Lloyds at 66p, now 97p and with room to grow I feel. I could get out now and make a nice bit of money but i'm going to hold for years. Although Lloyds have been poisoned a bit by the HBOS acquisition I think in a few years when all settles Lloyds will be a monster - no way the Lloyds/HBOS merger would have been allowed if HBOS hadn't been in trouble.

Edit: as usual in the stock market - do you own research. Listen to no one.

So yes, you can buy whatever shares you want.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2009
  7. frosty03

Wise Guy

started mine in 2001. By 2007 (before the crunch) it was up by about 50% compared to what i contributed.

Now, it is 300 squids LESS than what I put in.

So yea, it does go up and down....

8. Bes

Soldato

Sold BARC at a profit yesterday in mine. Still holding ROK at a loss ad looking at either CKN or ROK as my next buys :)

9. Hatter The Mad

Sgarrista

I do, with the halifax. In the last 8 months, I have earned 10% of what I have put in up until now.

Other than that, I hold LLOY for the longterm right now.

10. oneilldo

Wise Guy

I've had shares ISA's for about 3 years and my RBS and Lloyds shares are about breaking even. However, my average buy for barclays was around 100p so happy days there. Overall my portfolio is up around 30% but alot/most of that gain is from barclays.
    www.fool.co.uk has some good articles.

11. TaKeN

Capodecina

I've got one with RBS Investments via Natwest.

I'll dig out how much I've got invested and if its made anything..

12. Kappa

Soldato

Can I ask if anyone uses a managed fund? Like Fidelity's MoneyBuilder Fund or something like that?

You guys seem to be making great gains, but since I dont have much money as it is, I wouldnt want to risk it by choosing my own!

13. oneilldo

Wise Guy

If your worried then a FTSE 100 tracker might be a good start. Some exchange traded funds might be worth a look as well. A managed fund is good if you get a good fund with a great manager (the million dollar question) but most have some management costs per year ~1-2% and an initial cost so unless you get a good one you'll be struggling.

NB: do your own research and don't use money you cant afford to lose.

14. caff

Mobster

I've been putting regular payments into a S&S managed fund ISA (OEIC) with Gartmore for over 2 years now. It's not doing amazingly - but I guess that's due to something happening in the stock market ;) I'm in for the long game though.

Never keep all your eggs in one basket, and treat some investments as long term and not all short term.

15. TaKeN

Capodecina

Thread bump is relavent.

Just ordered the sale request on my Stocks and Shares ISA today. Missed the cut off point for the sale though! So it will be sold at tommorows price.

Needed the money, and it had been sat in there for 4 years. So it was due to be removed, I can't see the share price climbing much higher.

16. FutileBreadMachine

Wise Guy

You forgot to tell us your ROI!

17. Eriedor

Wise Guy

Have a range of funds with Hargreaves and Lansdown wrapped up in an ISA

Funds range from +4% to +83% with an average of +33% so very happy so far :)

18. Efour

Caporegime

check the management fees
    check the fees to open an account
    check the selling fees - if you intend or want to get at it one day soonish.
    do some research or pick one that these guys are already have.
    chuck it in there for 10 years and cross your fingers that you sell before a bust or during the peak of a boom.
    Unless you get obsessed by it and become a wanna be stock broker just accept you can end up losing the lot as well as hopefully gaining some.

and do it before the 5th :)

and now i feel a **** for posting in an ancient thread

19. Bear

Capodecina

I bought into a fund because I thought the cash ISA was pretty much a waste of time at current rates. Cost is 1.25% a year and its made £87 (5k in) in the two weeks its been up and running although it may lose that at any time but I plan to add to it and in it for the long haul.

20. SoSolid

Wise Guy

I invested in a S&S ISA last July and so far I am 15% up on my original investment. I would not have gotten this ROI in any other banking investment. I am going to keep it for another 12 months when my mortgage 2 year period ends and I can start making overpayments.