Does anyone have a stocks and shares ISA?

Soldato
can you sell up after say 6 months and a 25% gain? to invest in another brand / company. I suppose the biggest problem is you have then used your ISA limit?

sid

sid

Soldato
I just had a look at the hsbc website with a view of obtaining one of these.

There are hundreds of funds to invest in. Wheres a good starting point to begin research.

PS - I can afford it. A few k anyways.

Soldato
I just had a look at the hsbc website with a view of obtaining one of these.

There are hundreds of funds to invest in. Wheres a good starting point to begin research.

PS - I can afford it. A few k anyways.

I'm new at all of this but all I did was decide what level of risk I was willing to take and then researched the different funds and checked past performance, size of the fund and what holdings the fund had. Obviously this is no guarantee that future performance would be the same. I also read up on the fund manager to see how they have performed over the years.

No doubt someone will tell me I did it all wrong but as its all a gamble, so what the hell. I went into it with the attitude that its money I can afford to lose all be it I would rather it made me a decent gain.

Soldato
Went for these yesterday:

AXA Framlington Managed Balanced Fnd Acc
JP Morgan Emerging Markets A - Net Accumulation
Jupiter Merlin Balanced Portfolio Acc

Don
I put half in a cash ISA for this year and made £170, the other half in a L&G Alpha fund and made £1500 at the last check.

Not going to bother with a cash ISA this year and going to move everything I have in cash ISAs to a mix of managed funds.

Soldato
My uncle has had his S&S ISA investments increase by around 8% per year over the two year lock-in. I was really surprised but as most people know the FTSE et al have done very well during this time but I hadn't been paying attention.

Man of Honour
Best to make sure you have an accessible emergency fund before piling it into something like a SaS ISA. If you have the cash and security, go for it.

Man of Honour
check the management fees
check the fees to open an account
check the selling fees - if you intend or want to get at it one day soonish.
do some research or pick one that these guys are already have.
chuck it in there for 10 years and cross your fingers that you sell before a bust or during the peak of a boom.
Unless you get obsessed by it and become a wanna be stock broker just accept you can end up losing the lot as well as hopefully gaining some.

and do it before the 5th :)

and now i feel a **** for posting in an ancient thread

Still a good assessment and something a lot more people seem to be interested in lately, probably due to e-savers/cash ISAs not delivering what they used to for the most part.

The real measure of sucess is the state they are in when it comes to needing the money back out from them which very much can go either way which people need to be aware of and the story can very much change over time.

Back
Top Bottom