1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does my Mobo support a amdFX60 cpu?

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Vault5ChOnG, 3 Jun 2006.

1. Vault5ChOnG

Gangster

Hello,

My setup is:

MSI RD480 Neo2 Crossfire Mobo
    2x X1900'S 512mb
    2GB Dual Channel Geil RAM
    700W PSU

Just wondering if my mobo supports it as i seen the FX60 Dual core is on offer this week :p

2. Mul

Wise Guy

Yes it does. What CPU have you got now?

Mul

3. Vault5ChOnG

Gangster

AMD64 4000+ would i notice a big difference in performance or would it be not that noticable?

4. Mul

Wise Guy

It's a lot to spend on a CPU really.

You'd notice a difference but it's a lot of money. I'd grab an X2 4400 for nearly £300 less.

Mul

5. Vault5ChOnG

Gangster

this is what confuses me. Would a AMD64 4000+ runs alot slower than a AMD64X2 4000+. is there much difference between dual and single or is it just to lighten the load on your cpu? I just feel that when looking at some 3dmarks mine is really low compared to some.Like, one with a FX60 was double my score so is making me wonder how good it actually performs :p

6. benjo

Capodecina

If you want the FX60, you could get an Opteron or something alike and overclock it further ;)

Or, for the same price as the FX60, buy a new motherboard and get an AM2.

Apparently it offers 5-10% increase in performance, and DDR2 support.

7. Vault5ChOnG

Gangster

Im not really in the know about overclocking and i dont want to risk all the money i spent on upgrading my system, coz knowing me id overclock it to much :p

8. Joe42

Mobster

The fx60 is specifically designed for overclocking, and you pay a heavy price premium for that.
    The difference between dual and single is literally like having two cpu's rather than one, although very few programs can use both at the same time.

If you want to spend lots of money on a cpu get a high end X2. If you want to save some money get a lower end one and learn to overclock.

If i were you i'd keep your system as it is and overclock it.

Then upgrade when all the next gen cpus and gpus appear later.