Dolphin-boy!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I disagree, look at how quickly a blind person can read braille, can't see it being done without a heightened sense of touch.

It's not that your other senses literally 'get better', it's just that your brain becomes much more 'tuned' to the remaining senses in the absence of vision.

Caporegime
It's not that your other senses literally 'get better', it's just that your brain becomes much more 'tuned' to the remaining senses in the absence of vision.

i gotta agree with this a very crude and anecdotal bit of evidence you can try is while watching the tv (ideally in the dark) lie down on your sofa and then clsoe your eyes, after a little while i find the volume seems to go up noticeably.

Associate
I disagree, look at how quickly a blind person can read braille, can't see it being done without a heightened sense of touch.

No he's right your sense of smell, touch, hearing and sight cannot get better.

From the moment your born (Actually it's pre-programmed) your brain starts selecting sensory inputs to prioritize or filter out. Someone at my uni once told me walking down a busy shopping street on a Saturday afternoon would be like been stuck in a room with a thousand screaming monkeys without it.

And this boy using echo location? Shenanigans!

Last edited:
Soldato
Amazing skills! Hope he's able to use them for many years to come. :)

I'm not sure how common this is, but I've heard it said that those who lose one sense can learn to develop heightened acuity in another to compensate.

I have no proof to back this up, but I used to regularly say I could hear things (no - not voices in my head :p) that others couldn't (e.g. I could tell a neighbour had a mechanical timeswitch). I've lost some of that as I've got older (as we all do), but I still get overwhelmed when in an environment with a lot of noise (e.g. pub/club). I'm partially sighted.

Very true, I am hard of hearing but I can see peoples mannerisms more as my hearing get worse.

Man of Honour

I'd argue that it IS making your senses better. It's basically a software upgrade making you better process the raw data. This is like when adrenaline makes 'time slow down'. It's just that your brain is processing more frames per second. That IS making your senses better.

Soldato
Thats is clever. Makes me think about evolution and how not so complex and difficult it really is.

You can clearly see the steps it would take to evolve a bat from this.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The lack of senses from one primary sense (eyes) forces your other remaining primary senses to upgrade themselves, this young boy has been able to do it at another level though which makes him unique.

Nice!

Man of Honour
Wow

it's amazing how the brain can adapt. but even so wow, wouldn't of thought our ears would off been sensitive enough.

Back
Top Bottom