*dons military-grade flamesuit*

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Illegal number plates mind.
You can only use silver/white on black on cars pre January 1973.
Your C plate is what....1985.

Yeah, it's an '85. I know they aren't legal, Police round here don't seem bothered though, either they aren't interested or assume it's old enough for black plates without looking into it. Either way I've never had any hassle for them.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
[TW]Fox;16086882 said:
A show cage? What?!

Are you going to fit a show fire extinguisher as well :confused:

I wouldn't go that far :D

Like I said above, I have no excuses and have always slated show cages, so yes I'm being a huge hypocrite. But it was cheap, and I thought it would suit the car. I like the way it looks :)

you've just lost some weight/power ratio there :p

It's alu. It weighs **** all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I quite like show cages. If I ever had the chance for a nice black Dimma 205 then having a cage would just be the law. The safety aspect would bother me a bit but seats and harness would be on the cards. Its pretty much what I'd do to a classic scoob too but I would justify it by driving round Castle Coombe like a girl. :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Seriously though, how hard is it to fit a proper one? If a job's worth doing it's worth doing properly.

A lot harder and at least 4 times the cost. Sure, I 'real' cage would have been a massively better option, but in all honesty it's not like it sees regular track time, maybe once or twice a year at the most. I wanted a cage for aesthetic reasons mainly.

But hey, like I've already said, I'm not trying to make excuses. It is what it is, I like the look and that's why I've fitted it :)

It's not like I wasn't expecting this reaction :D

ever track it in the end?

I've taken it round Combe twice since I've owned it, and it's great fun :)

Man of Honour
Lose the cage and number plates, machine polish and clean up the plastic trim and you take off the flame suit :)

Exactly this. I'm no Golf fan, but that in tidy shape with those wheels and no silly chav stuff would be a car that deserves nothing but respect.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
[TW]Fox;16086965 said:
Exactly this. I'm no Golf fan, but that in tidy shape with those wheels and no silly chav stuff would be a car that deserves nothing but respect.

Thanks, it is in remarkably good shape for it's age. In all fairness it wouldn't take much to 'de chav' it, and maybe I'll go that way once I'm through my current MLC ;)

Besides, if you have been following my 'Golf update thread' you'll see that it's not just silly burberry-esque mods happening (in fact there won't be any more at all, I love the way it looks right now and have no plans for any more aesthetic mods). I've got a fruitier engine to go in and I have fitted an uprated rear ARB to make it handle the way I like (lose arse end, nice progressive lift-off oversteer).

Seats will be next, then I'll sort the small rust areas, then it'll be brakes and that engine :)

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
That looks awesome! Minor about the show cage, I think it looks quite nice and if you ain't taking it on the track then you don't 'really' need a functional roll cage.

I love the wheels, the car looks amazing... although in my opinion the seats don't really go with the whole "look" of the car. But I'm impressed, ever think about selling then drop me a message :)

Soldato
Gonna have to say I agree with Fox's safety angle. The subject can be debated until the cows come home, and the internet is full of such debates on every forum you visit, but I'd personally never have a rollcage, show or not, without a helmet and harnesses. All of which are unnecessary and dangerous (and helmets illegal IIRC?) on the road.

I do like the rest of the car (bar the tailgate) though. :)

Soldato
Gonna have to say I agree with Fox's safety angle. The subject can be debated until the cows come home, and the internet is full of such debates on every forum you visit, but I'd personally never have a rollcage, show or not, without a helmet and harnesses. All of which are unnecessary and dangerous (and helmets illegal IIRC?) on the road.

It's a SHOW CAGE. It's a bunch of scaffolding which pretty much sits on the back seat - it doesn't go past the B-Pillar. The driver WON'T be hitting his head on it in a crash.

Other than that, I think it looks great on the Ronal Turbos.

Back
Top Bottom