'Don't call me mate'

Don
Blackstar said:
Try working in B&Q leery old men call me 'darlin' 'pet' 'love' 'sweety' 'babe' and that old Scottish favourite 'hen'. I'd love to tell them not to as it makes me uncomfortable but i can't. I don't mind people calling me mate even if they don't know me though.

no Kid then? suppose thats from living in liverpool

Stelly

Associate
I like it, makes it feel more relaxed and as said, sociable.

I say it all the time on the internet and on WoW when trying to be polite, but never normally say it IRL.

But, there was one time at work I accidentally clipped a customer in the foot (well he was dawdling and he had a bram so it was clearly his fault), and out of nowhere I just said, "Whoops, sorry about that mate". He just glared at me until I was out of sight :\

That might have been because I kicked him in the foot and not for calling him mate but who knows :)

Soldato
being called "mate" isnt annoying,its only annoying when someone i dislike calles me that. what i hate is being called a "dude" or "boss".ermm no i am not your boss if i was i would have sacked you right now.

Soldato
Stellios said:
Awww, i feel for ya honey ;)
:p Thats not funny *tries to keep a straight face*.
It's creepy when people call you by name at work though, they walk up and say "hello Paula" like they know you. (I am aware it's writen on everything i wear at work except my trousers, but that is no reason to say it)

Suspended
Blackstar said:
Try working in B&Q leery old men call me 'darlin' 'pet' 'love' 'sweety' 'babe' and that old Scottish favourite 'hen'. I'd love to tell them not to as it makes me uncomfortable but i can't. I don't mind people calling me mate even if they don't know me though.

nerd mode
Can I call you "01100010011000010110001001100101" :p

Soldato
Blackstar said:
It's creepy when people call you by name at work though, they walk up and say "hello Paula" like they know you. (I am aware it's writen on everything i wear at work except my trousers, but that is no reason to say it)
I make a point of not using names in that situation when people are wearing name badges, it seems creepy to me. :yuck smiley:

Permabanned
Blackstar said:

nah it would be creepy if they approached you and said

"omg hi blackstar, your my forum fwend! *wipes spittle*"

Soldato
squiffy said:
nerd mode
Can I call you "01100010011000010110001001100101" :p
If you like but i'll probably be finished with the beeping (tec term there :p) and be waiting for your cash.
If someone called me Blackstar i'd be wondering who they were and why they were in B&Q in Scotland (unless they were a Scottish member of course)

Man of Honour
I have to say do say it a bit now... :o Though I say "matey" instead. But I only really do it with people I know. Never on the phone. Or never to clients either - unless they are friends or friendly. But even then I tend not to. With friends then it's more than normal to say I think. :)

Soldato
iCraig said:
"omg hi blackstar, your my forum fwend! *wipes spittle*"

Ill probably be like that at the Newcastle meet, calling everyone by their ocuk name as its all i know.

Only one i dont like is being called son, but i can live with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
carvegio said:
mate buddy or dude don't wind me up..

But 'boss' does, annoys me a lot!

Why's that, boss?

I work a on a food counter in Sainsbury's and whenever I see someone hovering I say: "Hi, are you okay there, mate?"

Never had any problems so far. Although I do refrain from saying it to female customers lol. I don't dare say love/darling/pet to them either.

I also use "dude" and "bud" a lot too, but mostly with friends. Although "cheers, bud" is something I say regularly to bus drivers as I get off the bus.

SiriusB

Hitman
Permabanned
Blackstar said:

I hate that so much. I actually completely ignore name tags unless I know the person.

Soldato
I think the problem with the term "mate" is that it implies the feeling is mutual, sort of like going up to a stranger and telling them you're their friend. As such it suggests that you and the stranger have common interests, that you are similar etc. Oftentimes it does irritate me when the more undesirable members of society refer to me as "mate" but I don't make them aware or make a fuss about it :)

Edit: Or perhaps it's just me, and the word "mate" has lost it's meaning over time...

Back
Top Bottom