'Don't call me mate'

Man of Honour
Saying 'you are not my mate' is just being rude in a situation when someone is clearly trying to be nice or help.

I use quite a lot actually. Particuarly as a greeting.

'Alright mate?'

Soldato
Nitefly said:
Saying 'you are not my mate' is just being rude in a situation when someone is clearly trying to be nice or help.

I use quite a lot actually. Particuarly as a greeting.

'Alright mate?'

Yeah, I use that often too. Something in your brain must be broken if you are offended by that.

SiriusB

Associate
OP
Nitefly said:

Which I was, until he said that.

I sometimes call my friends 'sweetheart' (m&f) or 'sausage', so I think he got off lightly!

Soldato
i hate being called mate. my ex bf used to do it all the time :mad: but then his whole family were chavs!

and i cant stand it when my assistant asks me something and when I answer he says "good girl good girl"

he even said it to a supervisor the other day!

i had to remind him that they might actually find it offensive and its not proffessional.

he also says "man" to people as well.

cant stand it!

Associate
The place i have just started working they have said that we cant talk like that which is fair enough, but for someone to get that annoyed at it is pathetic, you were just being friendly!

Man of Honour
If matey boy had asked me not to call him mate in such an abrupt and rude manner I would just take every opportunity to call him it.

Cheers, matey! ;)

Man of Honour
Can't stand being called "sir", nobody knighted me as far as I'm aware. I'd far rather mate. I also call lots of people at work mate, and when our agent support bail me out without an admin charge I'd been known to tell them I love them (a la Scott Mills) :D

Soldato
reflex said:
I say 'dude' a lot and it winds some people up, i can understand why :)
I use dude when speaking to friendly customers, or our regular customers on IRC and our forums. But only once they've become friendly, if they're having a problem etc I'll always refer to them by name.

Back
Top Bottom