'Don't call me mate'

Associate
i dont think mate is that bad i spose, i wouldnt complain about it but i dont like it when men i dont know call me "love" or "darling", especially the old fat builder type men...im like "I am not your darling!"

But they dont mean it, its just part of their speech and vocab so i accept it!

Soldato
i really dont see the problem.. people are just being friendly :/. i can understand if its someone you hate and they use a certain tone but otherwise i think its fine

Soldato
I use the word mate and pal a lot. Only a freak would get all offended by the term. The only time I guess it could be anoying is when someone is using the word mate as a way of to try and sell me something I don't need or want thinking that word will make me think Ooo what a nice chap I'll buy five of them.

Associate
I say 'mate' a lot aswell as the rather annoying 'dude'. Can't really help it.

We are trying to improve service at the rugby club I work at so I'm having to force out 'sir' a lot more although I still still speak normally to the kids, they respond better if you speak to them like they're your friends. Just doing my bit.

holly35 said:
oh forgot to point out i normally get offended by it when the old men are chatting me up and call me "love" or "darling" cos then it creeps me out :rolleyes:

I get called darling by some of the women at the club, can't stand it, very patronising.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
I hate it when Women call me mate!

It's dead frustrating - It's like Grrr I'm not YOUR MATE I ONLY WANT TO SLEEP WITH YOU AND YOUR FRIEND!

Associate
SexyBetty said:
My bro has a habit of saying "Alreet shag?" :D
I'm intrigued by this. Does he say "Alright shag" (and say they were average), "Alright, shag" (and use a nickname to which they are not accustomed), or "Alright. Shag?" and introduce a wholly different proposition? :eek:

Soldato
SexyBetty said:
My bro has a habit of saying "Alreet shag?" :D

Does he own a whippet and flat cap? :D

(sorry, someone who fits that description goes into our local, and 'alreet shag' is the first thing that comes out of his mouth when he walks in.)

I'm a bugger for saying 'mate' to people I dont know, wish I could stop but its just habbit now :/

Soldato
It depends on the context. In a supermarket I might say to the lad on the till "cheers mate" but at work talking to a customer I wouldn't dream of it.

Its usually easy to judge when its appropriate or not.

Bri

Bri

Soldato
Lopéz said:
Can't stand being called "sir"

Ditto, I'm not a knight or a teacher so just stop it!

I call loads of people mate, but then I wouldn;t address a customer as mate unless I had built up a good rapport with them over a period of time.

Permabanned
I find 'mate' offensive and disrespectful when used by a young sales assistant to someone for whom he/she should have more respect. I always point out that I am not a mate but a customer and, therefore, paying their wages and do not want to be talked to as they would to someone in the local pub.

Local colloquialisms, such as 'me duck' as used in the Midlands are perfectly acceptable.

Soldato
Nozzer said:
I'd have thrown his laptop out of the window.

hahaha :D

i have found myself saying mate quite a lot recently too. dont mind if someone says it to me. sounds like he had some serious issues. cant understand why someone would kick off about it. must have thought he was above you or summit.

Soldato
Damn i say it far too much......"can a help you there mate?" "see ya later mate!" to customers.......i think a guy told me not to call him mate the other day but i just said it at the end of every sentence :p

Back
Top Bottom