'Don't call me mate'

Soldato
Lopéz said:
Can't stand being called "sir", nobody knighted me as far as I'm aware. I'd far rather mate. I also call lots of people at work mate, and when our agent support bail me out without an admin charge I'd been known to tell them I love them (a la Scott Mills) :D

You, sir, have a point. I think we would all rather mate.

:D

SiriusB

Soldato
SiriusB said:
You, sir, have a point. I think we would all rather mate.
I always used to call the lorry drivers at work mate until I knew their name (or if I forgot it) just to be friendly. Can't say I'd take offence at someone calling me mate either, I'm not that far up my own rectum.

Associate
OP
yermum said:
Local colloquialisms, such as 'me duck' as used in the Midlands are perfectly acceptable.

Its along the same lines though, its just more widely used. Would you get offended if an Aussie called you mate? You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm too easy going to get worked up about something so small.

But then I did start this thread - but that's due to the perplexing nature of the aformentioned comment.

:)

Man of Honour
I must admit I do use 'mate' in some situations, particularly in pubs etc - i.e. "excuse me mate, can I just get through?" when I need to squeeze past someone, or "sorry mate" (accompanied by the obligatory raised palm) if I bump into someone.

Soldato
Next time you speak to him, just do what we do at work.

Typical conversation with a customer at work -

Hello Sir, what can i help with Sir.

Can i have a £10 O2 topup please
Certinely Sir, that's no problem Sir, i'll just do that for you Sir
Thanks
O2 Sir?
Yes
£10 Sir?
Yes
That's £10 then please Sir. Thank you Sir.
Here's your receipt Sir, anything else Sir?
Ok, have a good day Sir.

Love it :D

The other day my manager said to a customer who had just recieved his phone back from repair.

Ok Sir, they have repaired the phone by flashing the software, this means they have updated the system on the phone, and they have also replaced the flux capacitor. I couldn't believe it when he said that, i nearly wet myself lol :D

I love my job :D

Andy

Associate
I think it's a nice thing to say really. A passively informal way of relaxing the other person and initiating a friendly encounter.

If you don't like it then you should just keep quiet. It's hardly offensive.

Associate
OP
Aruffell said:
The other day my manager said to a customer who had just recieved his phone back from repair.

Ok Sir, they have repaired the phone by flashing the software, this means they have updated the system on the phone, and they have also replaced the flux capacitor. I couldn't believe it when he said that, i nearly wet myself lol :D

I love my job :D

Andy

ROFL! Did the customer say 'Great Scott!'

Soldato
Wryel said:

Sounds like he's just being snobbish to me. I see no problem with the use of the word mate, I see it as a sign of affection which surely should not be a problem between two humans? What's wrong with people? Professionalism? Pfft, get over yourselves I think :)

Associate
Its all about context from what I've learnt.

In some situations I call people mate (in both a professional and social environment) depending on the way they talk to me. If theyre being polite and formal, I am the same back. I know its pretentious, but hey :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom