1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't try this in the pub . . . oh alright then, do try this in the pub

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Shackley, 10 Jul 2006.

1. Shackley

Banned

"The 21st-century has caught up with the jukebox. There are now nearly 2,000 internet-connected jukeboxes in the UK, each of which can access as many as 2m tracks - and with this development has come Wyatting, which is either a fearless act of situationist cultural warfare or a nauseatingly snobbish prank, depending on who you ask." - http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1816709,00.html#article_continue

Suggestions for music that will empty a pub - I nominate "An Electric Storm" by "The White Noise".

2. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

I'm not sure if this is actually a thread for Speakers Corner, I don't see much to discuss in a topical sense or debate beyond the best suggestions to clear a bar so it might be better in GD or Music?

I'd suggest probably the Spice Girls to clear a bar or Slipknot as both come under different but equally annoying standards of suck(well it would get me to leave at least).

3. eStu

Wise Guy

Heh thats a novel idea for annoying people quite easily. It'll never catch on though, I've been at pubs where the landlords skip the tracks you paid for because they don't like them, so I'm sure they wont hesistate to skip something awful thats bothering their patrons!

What I'd like is a master remote for these jukeboxs! Now that'd be annoying, changing tracks and volume!

4. calnen

Mobster

A couple of the union bars have had these since I got to Uni (2 years), its hardly breaking news...

They are good, but tend to be pretty expensive (50p a track, as opposed to 20 in the normal ones).

5. anarchist

PermaBanned

That reminds me of a news item I heard a few weeks ago, about councils piping Barry Manilow type music into car parks etc. late at night in order to disperse yobs. Not sure if it has been a success or not though!

6. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Eh. We used to do that even with the old style jukeboxes. Put a couple of quid in and select some junk to play 6 times in a row, then leave the bar.

7. badgermonkey

Mobster

I make sure i get my moneys worth as those download ones are ridiculously overpriced. £2 for 3 tracks, so i stick on such greats as Dragonforce to get a good long play from my £3 :)

8. Thing

Gangster

Genesis :p

Actuallly i'd be tempted to put Motion City Soundtrack or something else I like on and see the reactions...

9. BigRoger

Gangster

ymca in a rocker bar always goes down well ;)

10. Tommy B

Sgarrista

Personally I say we get these nerds out of the pubs.

What a way to ruin the culture and character of pubs.

Burn these machines :(

11. Dolph

Man of Honour

They do that near where I work, it works quite well, at least in terms of moving the trouble elsewhere...

12. robmiller

Capodecina

As if a. national chains haven't done that already and b. one of these is ever going to get installed in a pub that has a modicum of "culture and character".