Doom Eternal

Associate
Been replaying 2016 recently and it’s so much fun! Looks like they’ve cranked the action up a few notches with a more beefy story in Eternal, so will definitely be picking it up at some point. The early reviews are very positive :cool:

Soldato
Still needing to Complete Doom 2016 - Bought it on release but only started playing it 6 months ago.. Cost me £30 when I could have got it for £3!
I won't be making the same mistake this time

Soldato
Played half the first level then got called out to work. Seems OK, still has that glory kill stuff which I didn't like in the previous Doom and was hoping for something a bit 'grittier' but it does look like fun.

Will have a bash when the little monsters are in bed.

Soldato
Played a few levels last night. It's fun but it's really too easy to run out of ammo. A few times I died because I literally had no ammo at all.
Still learning myself but using the chainsaw gets enemies to drop various bits including ammo so it seems a case of using all your weapons, chain saw when you can and use the r3 kill to keep health topped up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Still learning myself but using the chainsaw gets enemies to drop various bits including ammo so it seems a case of using all your weapons, chain saw when you can and use the l3 kill to keep health topped up.

Pretty much this. The game forces you to adapt and utilise the map (finding the ammo), the chainsaw, glory kills as well as different weapons.

The other point to mention is do not collect any ammo boxes unless you have less ammo than they give otherwise you waste tons of ammo. So boxes of shells give 8. No point picking them up unless you have 8 or less. I presume later in the game, carry capacity will increase.

I like how the game makes you approach battle situations more intelligently and manage resources. It's a bit of a learning curve compared to Doom 2016 but I am enjoying it so far. Just finished first level and waiting for the rest if the game to download. Bloody pro crashed over night so it didn't finish the download. Grrrrr.

Managed to get all the secrets and pick ups which is nice. Early days yet, and I cant quite put my finger on it - but this so far hasnt been as enjoyable as Doom 2016. I know this sounds a strange thing to say but it feels a bit more arcadey and less gritty.

But I admit it's too early to make a judgement yet.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Still learning myself but using the chainsaw gets enemies to drop various bits including ammo so it seems a case of using all your weapons, chain saw when you can and use the r3 kill to keep health topped up.

This, with a focus on the smaller demons to farm health and ammo.

Soldato
Played a fair amount more of this today.

I'm playing on ultra violence and this game is pretty tough. Some of the required movement around the environment can be tricky at times but it's fun finding the hidden spots.

Due to the weak spots dynamic it sometimes feels like I'm changing weapons every second. I am also generally finding enemies are much tougher than in doom 2016 too.

Levels seem much longer also. I have been playing most of the evening and only just got to the second slayer gate thing. Haven't even attempted it yet - I'm still recovering from the first one!! :p

I'm not too sure about this game so far. I felt the first one was far more menacing and atmospheric. This one feels more cartoony somehow. I still cant put my finger on it, but I dont seem to be able to gel with this game like I did with the first. I'm enjoying it and not enjoying it at the same time.

Part of it, I think, are the battles with enemies are too structured. In the original you had key challenge areas to clear the demon corruption but you also had tons of demon encounters just by working through the map. Eternal seems a bit more contrived and I feel that the experience loses something by not having random demons spawn in anywhere in the map. It's too obvious when you will need to fight and that takes an edge off of it somehow.

Soldato
So I have spent all day playing this. This is a tough game and dare I say it, it's starting to feel like a grind.

Some encounters are stupidly difficult - particularly secret encounters and slayer gates.

I have hunted down nearly every secret and progression location going so far. I've also unlocked a lot of weapon mods, applied upgrades, used crystals etc etc. Overall it feels like the gunplay is accomplished and well thought out and I feel succeeding takes more skill than in Doom 2016. That said it does feel like the weapon/damage/ammo balancing is a bit off.

I am also not really finding the levels and locations particularly inspiring. I also feel like they have basically tried to make parts of the game pretty much tomb raider. I understand they wanted to take gameplay up a notch but if it ain't broke dont fix it!

I love Doom 2016 and have been super stoked for Eternal, but I cant say I'm feeling the love for it. Shame really - as I wanted it to be a smash but I just dont think they have got it right. It's an OK game and fairly enjoyable but it probably wont be on my replay list which I am really disappointed about.

Back
Top Bottom