download feastival 2006

Soldato
thelankymatt said:
To be honest I would have loved it if Velvet Revolver had been there. I just cant stand Axl and have never been really into GnR's so I didnt stay around for the show... that and I needed a bit of a sit down after the Prodigy. Its a shame that a portion of the crowd seemed intent on ruining the show for those who had come specifically to see GnR's.

if only everyone had that mentallity it would have been such a better show!

i think i echo Nero's comments exactly!

i think through that gig was the most time i swore at the whole even, at the crowd surrounding me! by the end of it the 2 of us watching had about a 10m circle around us where nobody was standing!

people saying "oh wheres slash" - he hasnt been in the band for 10 years, get over it!
people completely ripping on axl - for some of it, i can understand but he doesnt deserve that much flack.

i dont think they were my favourite set of the weekend, and everyone is going to say that their favourite band were "better" than gnr, but the way they say it half of the time does show that they're a little scene (not directed at pezboy, havent read what you said)

meh, i guess people are just not going to get over the fact that its not the original gnr anymore. man, people get over divorces quicker than this!

Soldato
no one can honestly say that guns n roses sounded bad, because they didnt, which suprised me because of how bad they apparently sounded at rock in rio
however, i dont think they were close to on a par with velvet revolver last year, axl knew that the crowd werent going to like him, it may be different at a g n r gig, but at a festival like download, the majority of people, even if they're not a huge fan will stay to see the headliners, especially a band the stature of g n r.
so he sucked up to the crowd, that was the only reason for the guests
as i've said before, my opinions on the band are based largely on axl and the way he got to the stage he's at now (which is a little odd, because i love the current megadeth, despite it being the dave mustaine band now)

Soldato
SidewinderINC said:
if only everyone had that mentallity it would have been such a better show!

i think i echo Nero's comments exactly!

i think through that gig was the most time i swore at the whole even, at the crowd surrounding me! by the end of it the 2 of us watching had about a 10m circle around us where nobody was standing!

people saying "oh wheres slash" - he hasnt been in the band for 10 years, get over it!
people completely ripping on axl - for some of it, i can understand but he doesnt deserve that much flack.

i dont think they were my favourite set of the weekend, and everyone is going to say that their favourite band were "better" than gnr, but the way they say it half of the time does show that they're a little scene (not directed at pezboy, havent read what you said)

meh, i guess people are just not going to get over the fact that its not the original gnr anymore. man, people get over divorces quicker than this!

Damn right mate! The funny thing was, when I was watching em, I didnt think of Slash once!

Soldato
nero120 said:
You have your opinion I guess. But I thought Download was a Rock festival, not a "lets get drunk, act like *****, swear, go 'circle of doom', throw bottles at people, riot, and complain when the traditional embodiment of our pathetic attitude appears on stage" kind of festival. I guess I was wrong eh?

Did I say I agreed with the behaviour of a some of the crowd? no I didn't. Thats why I stay at the back towards by the beer tent. I can't be arsed with all the pushing and shoving, bottle fights etc but the people who go down into the area immediatly infront of the stage know what to expect.

I am entitled to my opionion on anyone who comes onto the stage that I have paid to see. Last year I didn't bother sticking around to see the likes of Black Sabbath as I don't like them and I voiced my opionion that Velvet Revolver, given the amount of talent they have in that band, were a disappointment.

This year I really wanted to see GnR as I've been trying to see them (or at least whats left of them) for the last 10 years or so. In MY OPIONION they did not live up to expecations, I disliked the attitude of the lead singer and the band and also thought they didn't do a particularly great job at blasting out some of the best rock songs in histrory. That is my view and you labeling my a scenester because of it...well...

Soldato
Abraham said:
no one can honestly say that guns n roses sounded bad, because they didnt, which suprised me because of how bad they apparently sounded at rock in rio
however, i dont think they were close to on a par with velvet revolver last year, axl knew that the crowd werent going to like him, it may be different at a g n r gig, but at a festival like download, the majority of people, even if they're not a huge fan will stay to see the headliners, especially a band the stature of g n r.
so he sucked up to the crowd, that was the only reason for the guests
as i've said before, my opinions on the band are based largely on axl and the way he got to the stage he's at now (which is a little odd, because i love the current megadeth, despite it being the dave mustaine band now)

I didnt think Axl sucked up to the crowd at all, on the contrary, he seemed to be the only one at the festival who didnt! Christ, how many "we love you dimebag"s did we get? If thats not sucking up I don't know what is! I loved the way axl was being quite sarcy, but funnily enough he seemed not to lose his temper at all, even seeing the funny side of it. I found his attitude really quite refreshing, and I wasnt expecting it at all. I was expecting the *****-Axl everyone here is describing, but he was simply as-cool-as! :)

Soldato
J1nxy said:
Did I say I agreed with the behaviour of a some of the crowd? no I didn't. Thats why I stay at the back towards by the beer tent. I can't be arsed with all the pushing and shoving, bottle fights etc but the people who go down into the area immediatly infront of the stage know what to expect.

I am entitled to my opionion on anyone who comes onto the stage that I have paid to see. Last year I didn't bother sticking around to see the likes of Black Sabbath as I don't like them and I voiced my opionion that Velvet Revolver, given the amount of talent they have in that band, were a disappointment.

This year I really wanted to see GnR as I've been trying to see them (or at least whats left of them) for the last 10 years or so. In MY OPIONION they did not live up to expecations, I disliked the attitude of the lead singer and the band and also thought they didn't do a particularly great job at blasting out some of the best rock songs in histrory. That is my view and you labeling my a scenester because of it...well...

In that case I judged you too harshly, fair enough. I guess they would have had a hard job living up to everyones expectations, and I must say they certainly gave the crowd a surprise with their set! It was quite surreal, but I found I really enjoyed it, and Axl, a great deal. He was much better than when I saw him on the Chiniese Democracy tour a few years back.

Soldato
nero120 said:
I didnt think Axl sucked up to the crowd at all, on the contrary, he seemed to be the only one at the festival who didnt! Christ, how many "we love you dimebag"s did we get? If thats not sucking up I don't know what is! I loved the way axl was being quite sarcy, but funnily enough he seemed not to lose his temper at all, even seeing the funny side of it. I found his attitude really quite refreshing, and I wasnt expecting it at all. I was expecting the *****-Axl everyone here is describing, but he was simply as-cool-as! :)

dont forget, its cool to bum dimebag! just like it was cool to bum cliff burton just after he died - thats not meant to be taken offensively, i agree its a great loss on both parts. but do we really need 90% of bands doing it when they probably dont care too much.

i couldnt hear half of what axl was saying in the little interludes when he was on stage, but it seemed really light hearted - especially with the little funky jamming they did.
i know he was talking about the release date for the new album, and hear him sing "if you **** me now" in the style of "if you leave me now..."

Soldato
SidewinderINC said:
dont forget, its cool to bum dimebag! just like it was cool to bum cliff burton just after he died - thats not meant to be taken offensively, i agree its a great loss on both parts. but do we really need 90% of bands doing it when they probably dont care too much.

i couldnt hear half of what axl was saying in the little interludes when he was on stage, but it seemed really light hearted - especially with the little funky jamming they did.
i know he was talking about the release date for the new album, and hear him sing "if you **** me now" in the style of "if you leave me now..."

Yeah he was talking a little under his breath so it was hard to make out some of his words. I remember some things he said:

- After playing a new song: "Hey you know what, we should record this track and then maybe people will download it and s***!"
- After guitarist grabbed mic off him to have a rant at the crowd: "Okaaaay!"

a lot of the other stuf he said I cant rightly remember but I remember beign quite amused by a lot of it, especially when he sarcily threatened to "just go home"! Then later when things got better he was like "I don't know about you guys, but now I don't want to go home. It could have been different an hour ago!" :D

Don
Captain Planet said:
Made for good entertainment anyhow, just hope this doesn't mean a cancellation for next years event! :(

was on our local news last night suggesting that a licence won't be granted next year , might just be scaremongering but the loacal residents around there are always looking for reasons to get stuff cancelled

Soldato
nero120 said:
no one can say that gnr were bad because they simply werent! Anyone who says that either:

1.) Didnt see them
2.) Has no clue what makes a good show
3.) Has no clue about musicianship, singing, performing arts, etc
4.) Is just saying it to jump on the bandwagon
Sorry I disagree, I saw a lot of the set and it was rubbish. I have seen a LOT of bands, I know exactly what makes a good show. I'm no musical expert but I play guitar myself and have been to a lot of gigs so I think I know a little about musicianship and I'm most definitely not jumping on the bandwagon. I just couldn't stand them, they were so boring. The guitarist's are OK, nothing special though there are plenty of solid rock guitarists like them about. I'm not saying their musicianship was bad but it's nothing special (especially compared to the likes of Tool, Opeth and Gojira who were also playing.) I'm not trying to offend G n R fans here but I just don't think they are (or ever have been) a particuarly great band (perhaps one of the most overrated bands ever) there are are so many better classic rock bands out there: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, AC\DC etc Anyway just my opinion...

Back
Top Bottom