DPF Seat Leon Copa 2012

Associate
Hi guys!
I recently brought a Seat Leon 2012 Diesel, but I wish I did a bit more research!! So I've just found about this dpf. Didn't even know they existed until yesterday after my car was making a noise when I switched it off and it turned out it was regenerating ‍♀️ or attempting to!
Anyways the car has done 60000 miles already, I normally only drive locally and lucky if I do about 5000 miles a year.
I just wanted to know, to avoid any problems going forward, how often do I need to take it for a good run, I've read so many things online. Once a week, twice? How long for etc! Any information would really be appreciated because the last thing I want is this dpf dying on me!!! Also the car is an automatic if that makes any sort of difference!
Thanks in advance guys!

Associate
Wouldn't panic that much just try to let it finish regen next time by doing s round trip somewhere usually done within 10 to 15min.

Associate
OP
Hi @remy87 thank you for your response! Do you think it's safe to do one of those trips once a week?
Sorry for all the questions, I panic when it comes to stuff like this, I've gone from driving a Nissan Micra 2002 that was litterally a bullet, to something that needs a lot more looking after haha!

Associate
Don't think you need to tbh. If you got an oil gauge once it hits 90c just boot it a bit obviously when safe to do so. I got a 2014 Leon and drive it quite mixed and sometimes regen does happen I just pop around a roads or motorway for a bit. You can tell when it's done once idle goes below 1k.

Just be on top of your oil services as shorter trips and regens does no good to oil. Injecting more fuel to burn not sure how it all works

Last edited:
Soldato
It's recommended that you drive on a motorway in 4th gear for at least 10mins. Higher than normal Rpm for a decent amount of time will allow the car to heat up the Dpf enough to burn the soot to Ash and expel it. On some cars turning it off mid regeneration can dump diesel into the engines oil supply. (mazda 3 2.2d for example)

Associate
OP
@Diagro thank you for the response! I will keep that in mind. This is gonna sound so stupid, but you say about putting it in 4th gear. Is this possible to do in an automatic? :D

Soldato
@Diagro thank you for the response! I will keep that in mind. This is gonna sound so stupid, but you say about putting it in 4th gear. Is this possible to do in an automatic? :D
You should be able to shift it down? I have only ever driven a smart 1.5d auto and that allowed me to pick what gear I was in.

Don
At 5000 miles a year with lots of short journeys then you've bought the wrong car for the job. Even if you'd bought a relatively "thirsty" petrol the difference in fuel cost will be tiny compared to the potential expense of a failing dpf.

There are two types of DPF regeneration - passive and active.

Passive occurs when exhaust gas temperature reaches 350C - however this can be difficult to do, especially with short journeys.

Active regeneration is managed by the ECU and is initiated when the DPF reaches a certain soot level - extra fuel is injected to raise exhaust temperature to ~700C, this process takes around 10 minutes, during which the engine idle speed raises slightly, cooling fans may run (faster), and instant mpg readings may appear reduced.

Some info here:
https://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk7/dpf/index.php
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/163842-DPF-Regeneration-conditions
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/118532/vag---euro5-dpf-info

Associate
OP
@Armageus thank you for the response! I definitely realised this all after doing the research, wish I did do it first. But I'll have to make do with what I've got for now. I'm gonna try and do a trip up the motorway once a week and hopefully this does the trick! Well fingers crossed anyways! Thanks for all the advice guys!

Back
Top Bottom