Drainage Plans - Developer Not Playing Ball

Soldato
Hi all,

I was going to put this into home but it's more of a legal issue than anything I'd say, but feel free to move it if necessary.

We bought a house off plan from Persimmon and got the keys on 9th May 2016. Word of advice, never buy a house from them, they are crooks.

When we bought the house, we had to go over all of the plans and was clearly told "there are no drains on your property and they even showed us the plans in the sales office. As part of our deeds etc... we were only given plans showing the boundary lines and speaking to our the solicitors who did our conveyancing, that is all they have too.

Fast forward to now and we have some problems with some drains (that are on our property) and after being reminded by my mrs that "wasn't we told we didnt have drains". I queried it. I asked them for copies of the plans to which we've been told it is their company policy not to issue the drawings outside of the company and therefore can't provide them. Surely, this is my house, I should be entitled to see them?

My thinking based on the way they have been acting, is that they know the drains shouldn't be there and would not be willing to move them as it will cost them as a company, hence not wanting to show us.

I've spoken to the council and the waterboard and none of them have the plans and referred us to the NHBC (who deal with warranties etc) and they confirmed that they do have the plans but can only show us if Persimmon allow them to so right now we are between a rock and a hard place.

Anyone got any ideas on how to proceed on this?

Thanks,

Andy

Soldato
What sort of problems are you having? Do you have any manholes on the plot?

Its highly unlikely you have no drains on your property and I imagine what they meant was you have no one else's drains on your plot, where does foul and surface water go to?

Soldato
OP
What sort of problems are you having? Do you have any manholes on the plot?

Its highly unlikely you have no drains on your property and I imagine what they meant was you have no one else's drains on your plot, where does foul and surface water go to?

The drains on our property aren't actually fitted. You can simply come along the side of our house and remove the lid and walk off with them.

We have no idea where it goes as we have no plans to see.

These are the drains in question (inspection chambers):

vTgxFDA.jpg

dXzgKYw.jpg

Spoke to NHBC again and they said if i get persimmon to grant access then the NHBC can show us, but they have already said no.

Andy

Soldato
In your solicitors searches, they should have done a utilities search which will (should) have a plan of the main drainage in the vicinity, sewers etc. Possibly as a new build, this was not done as the sewers were still off plan so to speak.

In our recent purchase, all searches were copied to me via email as .pdf files.

You will have an interceptor manhole on the sewer which will be on your property or close by on the road or pavement. The lids are not fixed usually but need a key to lift them.

Soldato
OP
What does this mean ? But as said above, of course you have drains op your property.

You can literally take the two parts (lid and edge) and lift it up and walk away with it if you so wish.

In your solicitors searches, they should have done a utilities search which will (should) have a plan of the main drainage in the vicinity, sewers etc. Possibly as a new build, this was not done as the sewers were still off plan so to speak.

In our recent purchase, all searches were copied to me via email as .pdf files.

You will have an interceptor manhole on the sewer which will be on your property or close by on the road or pavement. The lids are not fixed usually but need a key to lift them.

The ones I showed above you can literally lift up and wander off with them.

Soldato
OP
What is the actual issue? That there are drain covers on your land that you were not warned about?

Two issues, the first being that I was told there were no drains but can't prove it as the only ones with the plans showing it is the developer who won't let me see it. Probably because they know they are wrong.

The second being that if they are meant to be there, they aren't actually installed and are simply resting on top.

So you mean the manhole covers arent installed? They are just sitting there covering nothing?

Whats the actual problem

They are resting on top and aren't actually fitted to anything, that's the issue. You could walk along and take the lid off and walk away with it if you wanted. Though the main issue is that I was told that we had no drains etc...

Soldato
They are resting on top and aren't actually fitted to anything, that's the issue. You could walk along and take the lid off and walk away with it if you wanted. Though the main issue is that I was told that we had no drains etc...

Resting on top of what?

Is there just earth under that man hole cover?

Soldato
Two issues, the first being that I was told there were no drains

The second being that if they are meant to be there, they aren't actually installed and are simply resting on top.

You will always have fresh and foul inspection covers on a new build. These should have a frame they rest in but they are not usually locked, to enable free access to the utility companies. There isn't much demand for theft of them.

Honestly, how do you think your property is serviced by utilities, Wireless Connection :D ?

The searches would have shown if you had mains utilities under plot which can be an issue for rights of access or risk of leaks etc. Developer will have had these plans available to them which is what they will have referred to.

Have you got a copy of the detailed plot drawings showing levels and the drainage strategy? It should be available either from the council, developer or on the council's planning portal under the applications discharge of conditions reference.

Back
Top Bottom