Drama HDD+SSD ****** up.

Associate
Long story short:
An 8TB hdd (seagate) died last week for no apparent reason and 2 months before warranty expiration.
Probably the controller has a problem.
A friend of mine took the drive and connected it to his pc, the drive turned on briefly and then immediately off, without any sounds BUT at the same time (strange coincidence) his samsung evo 850 ssd DIED. Not recognized by any pc at boot nor in bios.

Now, about the SSD, hypotizing that the controller of the fault HDD caused some kind of short circuit in the power line (which was common between the two), what can be possibly happen to the poor SSD? A capacitor blown? Any ideas on what to check with a tester?
No software solution is applicable because the SSD seems dead. No sign of life.

Man of Honour
Long story short:
An 8TB hdd (seagate) died last week for no apparent reason and 2 months before warranty expiration.
Probably the controller has a problem.
A friend of mine took the drive and connected it to his pc, the drive turned on briefly and then immediately off, without any sounds BUT at the same time (strange coincidence) his samsung evo 850 ssd DIED. Not recognized by any pc at boot nor in bios.

Now, about the SSD, hypotizing that the controller of the fault HDD caused some kind of short circuit in the power line (which was common between the two), what can be possibly happen to the poor SSD? A capacitor blown? Any ideas on what to check with a tester?
No software solution is applicable because the SSD seems dead. No sign of life.

Most likely fried the controller on the ssd. It's an rma jobbie for sure. I've had similar happen when my sata dock died I fried 3 ssd's before I worked out what was going on. Luckily I have good relationships with the supplier.

Back
Top Bottom