Draytek Vigor 130 and FTTC SNR setting increased sync

Soldato
I tried for hours last night using various guides and I couldn't get it to work. Where you can assign a couple of ip addresses I was missing the options :(

It took me a whole day to get mine working! I had to make a new interface with a static ip (x.x.2.2), give the modem a static ip (x.x.2.1), create a firewall rule, and set up a vlan on my switch. It was a long time ago I did it now, it was a royal pain though.

I can send you some screen shots if need be.

Associate
It took me a whole day to get mine working! I had to make a new interface with a static ip (x.x.2.2), give the modem a static ip (x.x.2.1), create a firewall rule, and set up a vlan on my switch. It was a long time ago I did it now, it was a royal pain though.

I can send you some screen shots if need be.
Hi Andy

Yeah if you could that would be great :)

Soldato
Thanks mate that's really helpful :)
Do you have to do the vlan on the switch? Unfortunately I don't have a managed switch to do that!

You shouldn't need VLAN to achieve this?!?!?!

Simply the port connected to the Vigor has an IP in a different range to the rest of the LAN (Vigor 192.168.2.1 & pfSense 192.168.2.2). All you need from there is a NAT rule stating anything going to 192.168.2.1 should be NAT'd out of the interface connected to the Vigor. No VLAN needed.

Soldato
You shouldn't need VLAN to achieve this?!?!?!

Simply the port connected to the Vigor has an IP in a different range to the rest of the LAN (Vigor 192.168.2.1 & pfSense 192.168.2.2). All you need from there is a NAT rule stating anything going to 192.168.2.1 should be NAT'd out of the interface connected to the Vigor. No VLAN needed.

You need a VLAN in bridged mode.

https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5212

Soldato
That is tagging and untagging for internet access though, not reaching the modem?!?! eg BT VLAN 101

The title of the article suggests otherwise -> "Access a Vigor130 in Bridge Mode"

To get access to my Vigor 130 I had to add a route back to my LAN subnet using pseudo ethernet interface on my Ubiquiti USG. From memory the command needed on the 130 was "ip route add 192.168.8.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.3.2 static" where my LAN address space is 192.168.8.0/24 and peth0 on the USG is 192.168.3.2.

Soldato
The title of the article suggests otherwise -> "Access a Vigor130 in Bridge Mode"

To get access to my Vigor 130 I had to add a route back to my LAN subnet using pseudo ethernet interface on my Ubiquiti USG. From memory the command needed on the 130 was "ip route add 192.168.8.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.3.2 static" where my LAN address space is 192.168.8.0/24 and peth0 on the USG is 192.168.3.2.

Second time through reading it yes it actually does read that way. What a stupid way around achieving such basic connectivity!

Associate
Glad I found this thread, I made the -50 change which pushed my DL from 54 to 79 alas over 24 hrs the FEC errors mounted up and the DLM dropped it down slightly, checking the log throughout the day I lowered the setting to -30 and now -25 which has stabilised over 36 hrs. Hopefully that will fix the speed unless something changes in the line. My upload has always been 20 never any lower. Anyway glad I found this thread, I am using a Draytek 2862 (basic model)

Man of Honour
OP
I’m glad it’s been of use to some. Mine has settled around 60, without the tweak it’s about 52. Not a huge difference but every little counts with large downloads.

Associate
A quick update, following a fault in my phone service I asked Sky to check my broadband, as its speed head steadily dropped to around 54mbs D and 20 U. A reset on DLM increased it to 65 D and 20 U. Tweaking the SNR carefully this has now been stable at 72 D and 20 U setting my SNR to -24. It has been stable now for around 72 hrs, with my DrayTek 2862 (standard model) I don't believe I can get any higher than that, but I had wondered what the estimated line length was? Is there a way to work this out?

Thanks

Soldato
I recently changed my firmware from BT to alternative (I'm on ECI cabinet). About a week later my sync speed has increased by 3mbit, doesn't sound much but going up to 35 down from 32 is a noticeable improvement on bigger downloads :)

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, new here. Just wanted to post to say i've set my Vigor 130 to -20 and my speed went from 69 to 76. Very pleased, I remember when I first got fibre in my area and it was at 80 for ages. Then one day it dropped to 73... then 69. So getting it back to closer to 80 is very nice. So far not many errors, went from 9 to 29 over the last 8 hours.

Curious on how I can get my ASUS RT-AC68U to allow me to connect to my Vigor 130 however. As the only way I can get the internet to work is by changing from a static IP back to automatic in WAN settings in the ASUS router.

EDIT: Sadly I awake this morning to find my sync speed has dropped to 65, reset my snr and its back at its original settings (60Mb) lowest its been. I hope it doesn't take long for DLM to reset my line and remove interleaving.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi, new here. Just wanted to post to say i've set my Vigor 130 to -20 and my speed went from 69 to 76. Very pleased, I remember when I first got fibre in my area and it was at 80 for ages. Then one day it dropped to 73... then 69. So getting it back to closer to 80 is very nice. So far not many errors, went from 9 to 29 over the last 8 hours.

Curious on how I can get my ASUS RT-AC68U to allow me to connect to my Vigor 130 however. As the only way I can get the internet to work is by changing from a static IP back to automatic in WAN settings in the ASUS router.

EDIT: Sadly I awake this morning to find my sync speed has dropped to 65, reset my snr and its back at its original settings (60Mb) lowest its been. I hope it doesn't take long for DLM to reset my line and remove interleaving.

Your WAN will be dynamic normally - your ISP will generally issue you with a dynamic IP (exceptions exist).

Back
Top Bottom