1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive-by-wire

Discussion in 'Motors' started by ElRazur, 31 May 2006.

1. ElRazur

Capodecina

I was thinking about this days ago, after watching a documentary on aeroplane and fighter jets. How come this idea hasnt been implemented and made readily available for everyday drive, surely it will help cut down many accidents that could be easily avoided? Make parking easier for women drivers.. :D
    Let's disscuss it please. Thanks.

*Lifted off another forum (who lifted it off another forum!) :o

2. Mic

Mobster

Because Fighter Jets cost MILLIONS of dollars. And this technology would cost a bomb.

And everycrash would come down to the driver blaming his malfunctioning steering, or is operating system got the blue screen of death.

3. andi

Capodecina

The big problem is you'd lose feel. In a good car, you can feel whats happening underneath you through the steering wheel and peddles. If there was no mechanical connection, you'd lose that, and driving would be an odd experience.

4. ElRazur

Capodecina

Most technological challenge tend to start off being expensive and then start to go cheap e.g Dvd players.

Surely that's what it will aid to cut down. If the jet use in today's war are the same as the ones used during the world war I era surely they will crash more than the fily-by-wire one of today...

Last edited: 31 May 2006
  5. Mic

Mobster

I just cant see such an advanced system, with all its fail safes,components etc being introduced in cars.
    If its not broke, dont fix it.

6. djbenjo

Mobster

Some manufacturers already use this to control the throttle I think.

7. Steve

Mobster

Have it on me beemer

To be honest having all controls fly by wire wouldn't faze me, after all have you tried to steer and use your brakes with the engine off, now I can curl 60kg and I struggle to turn the bloomin wheels :p

8. ElRazur

Capodecina

What's wrong with losing the feel of a car? Perhabs drivers just dont like to feel that way and i for once believe it is the same not-wanting-to-lose-the-feel approach towards a car with an auto-gear box.
    I honestly think this system has potentials, maybe with time it might pick up.

9. Lashout_UK

Capodecina

Because a ten quid cable has proved perfectly effective instead? :p

10. Mic

Mobster

Steering would be feel very ackward.

11. DreXeL

Man of Honour

Steering by wire feels very strange. If you have ever driven a Jungheinrich reach fork truck you'll realise just how strange it is. The whole thing is 'drive by wire', and having no actual connection feels very wierd, with no feedback whatsoever.

I'm not saying for a minute that a car would be the same, of course it would be alot more advanced than a fork-truck, but my point is they would have to give the wheel some sort of force-feedback, even if it isn't 'real'. You would just feel too 'disconnected' otherwise.

12. Vanilla

Sgarrista

Million to make.

BILLIONS to research and develop.

13. Steve

Mobster

I felt like I was playing the playstation the other day on the Motorway controlling the accleration with the + and - n the steering wheel :p

Just need a thumbstick for the steering and I'll be off.....

14. Goody_GTI

Wise Guy

as already mentioned i wouldn't like that as it would just feel a bit surreal, a bit like going from driving a car without power steering to driving a car with power steering... kind of !

i just dont think youd get a good feel of the road

15. ElRazur

Capodecina

How about the driver adapting to the lack of feed back? Or better still get immerson to design a Vibra-steering* of some sort? :D Seriously i think it is all down to us adapting...

*That name is registered and protected already.

16. Mic

Mobster

They already have them in for consoles like the ps2 and xbox360.

You have to ask yourself though, WHY??
    Its just more useless expensive uneeded stuff to add to a car.

17. djbenjo

Mobster

Does the MINI utilise this on its steering? I have heard numerous things said about the steering and can't remember what it is?

Is it just the electric assisted steering (rather than PAS pump) or FBW?

18. Steve

Mobster

elec assist I think, misses ahs one and it is pretty light but you still get a feeling

Focus ST has it as well as you cna change the sensitivity I believe

19. NickXX

Soldato

Loads of new cars have drive-by-wire throttles, which I imagine makes stability/traction control easier to implement. I believe high end Mercs such as the CL-class have drive-by-wire brakes too.

20. CaneyJ

Hitman

Fighter jets and passenger planes get maintained to an impeccable level and have controls built to last and work in an emergency.

If applied to cars the system would be built to a budget and 10 years down the line I wouldn't be confident driving a badly maintained car which might suddenly go haywire on you, just another thing to go wrong in my opinion, if it ain't broke don't fix it.