Drive replacement suggestions?

Associate
Hello folks.

Sooo....my relatively new ryzen system, that i and my father built back in June has been having technical issues for the past month, as I’ve pointed out in other threads on here.

We had a friend who used to build and sell computers in a shop test the system over the past couple of days, after we RMA’d the motherboard back to OCUK and that came back ok.

Turns out the CPU IS faulty, which i was starting to strongly suspect, BUT, the brand new SSD that we bought as a replacement for a suspected failing drive (that probably wasn’t failing, so i probably didn’t need to send back the first nvme drive I bought -_-) that is also defective.

Apparently, there’s a cluster error on the drive that means it can’t store data in that cluster, at all. So if i continue using that drive, I CAN NOT use it as an OS drive.

So, I’m left with a couple of options now. Get another replacement nvme drive, get a laptop mech drive, or sata ssd.

If i go for another ssd, either nvme or sata, what would be the ideal storage capacity for the OS drive? I have a 4TB mech drive in an external enclosure, which I’m going to use as my application/game library drive from now on (along with backup storage).

My current OS drive is a 1TB Sebrant pcie 4 nvme, but that is expensive, and on top of getting a new cpu, I’ll have to go for a lower capacity drive, so what do you guys think for the OS drive?

Associate
OP
Hm, should I go with a gen 3 or 4 nvme? I’ve seen people reporting that the phison memory controllers on the gen 4s are prone to cause drive defects/failures. And I’ve already had at least one gen4 drive develop a defect.

Back
Top Bottom