drive safely

Soldato
Damn! Passed a Pug 107 smashed to pieces facing the wrong way on the A47 tonight, looks like it got turned around in a really deep puddle on lane 2. Thankfully the Police were already on scene but it looked like it hadn't happened long ago.

Caporegime
I see it time and time again. Pouring rain, surface water and people still doing 70+ on the motorway and dual carriageways. Likely with the cheapest tyre they can get, if they're even legal.

Soldato
I see it time and time again. Pouring rain, surface water and people still doing 70+ on the motorway and dual carriageways. Likely with the cheapest tyre they can get, if they're even legal.

This, people drive even more mental when the weather is bad. Zero understanding that they are in a flimsy metal box, with four patches of rubber keeping them on the road.

Associate
And now, as it's dark until later and dark sooner, the Cyclops (one headlight burnt), and often the solution is to go full beam.
During 12 miles, every morning, I would see at least 2 or 3 of them.

Soldato

It's about time a minimum wet grip level introduced. Given the weather in the UK having tyres that only have a D/E/F rating is suicide imo. Personally I won't go below A-rated.

Also part worn sales need to be banned, especially when an investigation in late 2018 found that 99 percent of part worn dealers were selling illegal part worn tyres (LINK)

Soldato
Yea my gt86 came with budgets on it and it was lethal in the wet. Most people dont realise the difference until its to late.

As for part worn ones, there is usually a reason they have been disguarded by someone else. Either they are terrible or something is wrong with them...

Soldato
It's about time a minimum wet grip level introduced.

This. Of all the expense the government go to to introduce smart motorways, speed cameras, roads policing officers etc, they could save a fortune, as well as many lives, if they just introduced minimum standards for tyres. At the moment, if it's black and round, it's acceptable as a tyre. Ridiculous.

Soldato
the issue is majority of people do not understand the point of premium tyres.

which is why so many run on the cheapest available at the time.

I run midrange on the rear and even those are sketchy in 300bhp RWD car and are rated A in wet.

would not want to know what low end tyres are like.

Soldato
Yea my gt86 came with budgets on it and it was lethal in the wet. Most people dont realise the difference until its to late.

As for part worn ones, there is usually a reason they have been disguarded by someone else. Either they are terrible or something is wrong with them...

I usually buy a new pair of tyres every year.

New ones go on the front (FWD, large diesel lump), tyres that are on the front go to the back and the back ones are discarded.

Normally the front tyres are down to 4ish mm (from 7/8mm) and the rears have worn to around 2 by the time they've been on the car for the 2 years.

Always brand name, always wet grip A.

Soldato
Why? I replace mine as and when they need it, don't rotate them at all. At the minute I have different tyres front and rear as well.

Because the rear wheels are the ones over which you have the least control (in most cases). Most people's justification for placing the newer tyres on the front is "because the front wheels do the driving, steering and the braking". But this is precisely the reason the newer tyres should on the rear - you have more control over what the front wheels are doing. You can modulate the brakes, steer, and (for FWD) adjust the the throttle in order to control traction.

By comparison, you have a lot less control over the rear wheels and about the only factor you can influence in regards to grip is the quality of the tyres. Therefore, in a situation where you are only replacing tyres in pairs, it makes sense to always have the newer tyres on the rear.

Of course in the ideal world, you'd replace all 4 tyres at the same time, but this isn't practical, and as most tyres wear unevenly in pairs, people will replace one pair at a time. So it's just about keeping as much control over the factors which influence stability as possible.

EDIT: a supplementary reason is tyre age. Most people replace tyres based on their mileage, which is sensible. But tyres can also lose effectiveness as they age. If you drive a FWD car and are replacing the fronts regularly, but not the rears, then those rear tyres might still be of legal tread depth, but older than the fronts. I accept this is a bit of an outlier reason though, I doubt many cars burn through their front tyres so quickly that you'd replace them multiple times before the rears needed doing.

no go here :D staggered fitment on both cars so tyre spec is different.. I rarely keep wheels long enough to burn through tyres and end up getting new set with fresh rubber..

..except of course if you have a staggered setup :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom