Driving in snow

box

box

Associate
Well, with the prospect of driving to work in quite a bit of snow tomorrow, I was wondering what peoples' recommendations were on getting there as safely as possible. Things like driving slowly and defensively are taken for granted, but are there any additional precautions you would take? Is there any benefit to deflating the tyres slightly for example?

Reason I'm asking...I have little experience of driving in icy/snowy conditions. Just wondered what people would recommend.

I thought this was a bit too GD to be in the Motors forum, but feel free to move it if needs be!

Thanks for any info!

Soldato
Much better advice will be given in Motors :p

Erm, I don't know really apart from the obvious brake very early rather than getting to the junction and finding out your car won't slow down.

Pull off in 2nd gear if you can't get any grip.

Man of Honour
Good thread, I could do with some tips as well. I'm driving to Worcester tommorrow, some 180 miles, and I've not actually driven in snow before. My car is also less than suitable for snow, really :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13406219 said:
Good thread, I could do with some tips as well. I'm driving to Worcester tommorrow, some 180 miles, and I've not actually driven in snow before. My car is also less than suitable for snow, really :p

Oh God. Prepare for your car to try and kill you at every given oppourtunity

Soldato
Obviously taking things a bit easier is always advisable, although when I was out before I saw a few gritters out (and my car is now covered in grit.. fantastic!) so you shouldn't have too many problems on the main roads if you take it easy.

RJC

RJC

Don
Like Gilly said, use a high gear as possible and take it steady, easier said than done! :eek:

I got the fun of driving to work tomorrow.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13406219 said:

Have you avoided doing so in the past or not had the opportunity?

I used to love it in my old cars, but in the Z4 it can be a bit of an experience. :D

box

box

Associate
OP
I thought higher gear meant less control over the car? But I guess having less power under your foot is a good thing.

Ye the gritters are out and about, but my route to work takes me down a fair few smallish streets that will almost definitely not have been gritted...eep. Although we're talking about 30mph limits all the way, so I guess sticking to 20/25 wouldn't be a crime!

Soldato
Well it’s looking quite bad here already and its going to snow all night and tomorrow so I will not even bother trying to drive I live at the bottom of a massive hill, it’s not worth the risk and bother Ill just phone work. .

Man of Honour
Have you avoided doing so in the past or not had the opportunity?

I've never had the opportunity - it just doesn't snow down here. It's snowed properly once a few years ago and for whatever reason I didnt end up driving anywhere. Although I make frequent trips to various parts of the UK they've never co-incided with snow.

Until now. Mostly M5 but.. I'll have my railcard unless I need to bail to the nearest train station :p

Soldato
Not sure about tyres - top gear (artic special), they deflated their tyres, but i think in rally they use quite thin tyres for snow.

First time i drove on snow i took it steady (40 in 30 - 5th gear). careful driving is all you need, and have fun driving past the bmws doing 15mph :)

Soldato
I thought higher gear meant less control over the car? But I guess having less power under your foot is a good thing.

Ye the gritters are out and about, but my route to work takes me down a fair few smallish streets that will almost definitely not have been gritted...eep. Although we're talking about 30mph limits all the way, so I guess sticking to 20/25 wouldn't be a crime!

Well when I took my theory I was told always use the highest gear possible, it stops you wheel spinning :D

Soldato
just drive as smoothly as possible

Doesn't work. Not in a RWD BMW. I drove as carefully as I possibly could and I live in the north so have plenty of experience with Snow and my car fishtailed dangerously on the main road which was untreated (Thanks)

Infact i only got out of my estate sideways. I'd like to have said it was fun but I was on my way to work 15 miles took 2 hours.

Worst driving experience ever but you do learn a bit I guess.

Soldato
I am contemplating the 35 mile drive in. Problem is the route is unsalted back roads...

Even if I make it in... it's not over. Have to drive all the way home again in the dark!

If it looks bad then I will work from home via Remote Desktop :)

Soldato
as said b4 keep into as high a gear as poss. also allow for a silly amount of stopping distance and be prepared for the abs to kick in almost as soon as you start to brake.

steer smoothly without acceleration round bends or u may lose your back end.

tbh i would expect the main roads to be ok tomorrow. the gritters will be out all night i expect. but its the side roads that are gonna get you if any.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Last time I had to drive in snow I was in a Subaru Legacy and the procedure was basically to get into the ungritted lane 2 of the A34 (from Aylesbury to the M4) and overtake everybody who was doing < 30mph in the gritted and mostly snow-free lane 1.

This year I'm in a RWD Volvo 940, so I'll be watching this thread with interest, I suspect I'll have even more trouble than Fox is going to have in his BMW.

Soldato
I've just been out in the snow. It's good fun having it blasting into the windscreen not being able to see particularly far lol.

The trick is just to be a smooth as possible, come off the throttle earlier, brake more gently and earlier or if you're that good with engine braking then you shouldn't really need to touch the brake (unless there is someone behind in which case you would so they know you're slowing down).

Just smoothness and anticipation is the key.

Back
Top Bottom