1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving in snow

Discussion in 'Motors' started by box, 1 Feb 2009.

1. Clarkey

Capodecina

nope

2. Howard

Capodecina

I was getting used to handbraking gently round tight mini roundabouts and corners last night/this morning. Roads are all slush now (the main ish ones, at least..) so it's a bit more sure-footed!

3. DRZ

Soldato

Wahey! Made it!

This morning I left the house at 6:40am. I hoped to get out early enough to avoid the carnage the compacted snow would bring and it was a good plan.

1st, 2nd and 3rd all produced unstoppable sideways action at low revs as expected but 4th was the winner for the gentle movement out of the first junction. Once again I thanked my lucky stars that my LSD is not a 2-way as I eeked my way down the road. It was everything I could do to stop the car drifting, massive concentration and lots and lots of steering input (in teeny tiny smooth increments) kept me from ploughing into any parked cars. Others were not so lucky.

Once out of the estate and onto the much wider main roads it was just a case of picking a drift angle and maintaining it as best I could :D Loved it!

These days its not so much driving in the snow that scares me, its the people that rocket past you not knowing what the hell they are doing that scares the crap out of me!

4. Dangerous

Capodecina

hhaha I overtook Fox on the M5 today. Sorry but there wasnt much snow, more wet road than anything and there was no need to do 60mph in the middle lane ;)

5. Saytan

Mobster

i slid gently and inevitably into a post at less than 5mph. now i need a new bumper.

6. mjt

Capodecina

:D

it's great. even with summer tyres before i change over, i didn't have too many problems with a bit of snow

7. NickXX

Soldato

7am - Home:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8:45 - Work car park:
    [​IMG]

16:00 - Home:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RWD, 350lbft and 255/35/18 tyres :p

8. Matt82

Capodecina

350lbft.. is that a 335d?

9. Janesy B

Caporegime

I had great fun today :) just wish i took my camera out :(

Crappy phone pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Feb 2009
  10. Moeks

Sgarrista

I didn't have to go anywhere today so I've just been sitting here looking out the window all day and reading about how much trouble everyone else has been having for a change :p ...after my 'episode' trying to get the car off the drive last time, I decided it would be best to reverse on yesterday.

Couple of pictures of my drive and road.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. NickXX

Soldato

12. Matt82

Capodecina

luuurvly. is that your actual torque plot too?

diesels aint what they used to be!

13. mjt

Capodecina

are you related to peter with the m5?

14. PeterNem

Sgarrista

Steady on....

We do live together though!

(And I have more torques ;))

15. PMKeates

Capodecina

I naturally assumed they were lovers?

16. Tom|Nbk

Capodecina

Yea common knowledge is it not?

:p

17. Proc

Wise Guy

I've just got home after driving back from work in the snow. Was possibly the scariest driving experience of my life. Trying to get up the hills was a nightmare, the car was constantly fighting for grip and was all over the shop, a normally 10 minute journey took me around 25. Not a nice experience, but nice to have some proper snow though. :D

18. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

I want a car, right now! I'm going to miss the snow fun. :(

19. NickXX

Soldato

Yup - that's the rolling road print (actually shows 475Nm, but that works out at 350lbft). :D

20. skankmaster

Gangster

Left for work this morning and the snow was nice and powdery, no problems. By lunch time, it was starting to turn to ice. When I left the police station car park, it was starting to feel worse. Still, I was in a 4wd with offroad tyres so handling was still great. Dreading it when the roads become black ice.