Driving in snow

Soldato
It wasn't actually that bad on the roads today when I got the bus, it was just the residental car park and roads around my house that were snowed in.

Soldato
I had to ask a nice man with a JCB to tow me up a hill in my van today, had to deliver some oxygen tanks to some old bird so i couldnt leave it till the roads cleared, got stuck coming out of the village, was not impressed.

Guy

Guy

Associate
Rode home of the back up trusty Honda CG... took me 20 mins to find a dry bit of road, (front of B&Q) to jump start it on :(

Finally got home without any drama though :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Didn't make it to work in the end, got about as far as the M4 southbound on the M25 then sat there for about an hour not moving. Turns out the M25 was completely shut further down. Then got the call to say not to bother going in so turned round back up the M40 (which was fine).

What a waste of a morning :D

Man of Honour
hhaha I overtook Fox on the M5 today. Sorry but there wasnt much snow, more wet road than anything and there was no need to do 60mph in the middle lane ;)

Haha you actually did :D Some guy in an Octaiva flashed me and pulled out, wondered who it was, looked over, and it was you! :p

I made it without hitch. Well I've had to park down the road :p

Man of Honour
We had drivers stranded all over the place today. Lots of our customers didn't make it to work or shut early.

Didn't get over 20mph on the way there or back, just plonked it in 4th and rumbled along at 800rpm.

Soldato
I had a nightmare today on the roads.. Took me 1hr 30 to get into work and another 1hr 30mins to get back on a 14 mile journey!

Saw a few near misses, and a few people at the side of the road with crumpled bumpers exchanging details.

Had some tit in a Fiesta in the morning tailgating me going down a hill with a snowy road, the lefthand lane was even more snowy so I stayed in the not so snowy righthand lane. He tried to undertake me and ended up sliding off the road, up over the pavement and into a roadwork sign! :D

It really amazes me how badly some people drive in the snow.. Its not like I've had much experience at it, but common sense should surely prevail and people should keep decent distances, brake early etc. The amount of people I saw sliding off onto pavements to avoid the car infront on the way home was unbelieveable!

If its like that tomorrow.. I'm staying at home. There isn't a cats chance in hell I'll risk some tit damaging my car for the sake of going into work!

Soldato
My friends and I were out this morning pushing people up slight inclines who got stuck :D We told them not to stop next time ;)

Need to get to work tomorrow, but don't fancy my chances if we have more snow overnight :\

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13413077 said:
Haha you actually did :D Some guy in an Octaiva flashed me and pulled out, wondered who it was, looked over, and it was you! :p

I made it without hitch. Well I've had to park down the road :p

I noticed the badge on the back then saw it was 530 and thought oh is that Foxy :p Pulled into lane one then waited about 10 mins for you to catch up :p

Pulled back out beep'd like a loon then off I went to Bolton (Still here now; heading back soon)

Fun drive :D

Soldato
Just got back from my 50m round trip on the M56... love driving in the snow and the motorways were fine (just wet road). Only annoying thing was people driving too slowly. Someone was doing about 25 on a 60 and even then they couldnt stay in the middle of their lane.

Best part was the empty carpark by work - plenty of drifty fun at 10mph :D

Caporegime
i had a nightmare this morning

Was using the satnav to guide myself to a customers site, and was following the M621. This was recently re-organized to include some of the old stretches of the M1. The point where it changes over from old m1 to m621 the motorway goes down to one lane, then slip roads onto the 621. At this point, the satnav suddenly informed me i needed junction 3, not the 4 i was expecting. Made a quick manovre to turn off, and BANG. Hit the kerb that was buried under the snow and got a flat tyre.

This itself wasnt that bad, but what followed next was. I was driving works car, and the mechanics had air hammered the nuts on. I had to jump on the wheel brace to get the nuts off. I got the third one off, JUST, but by this time the inside of the brace had bee stripped. Its gone from hexagonal to round and wont grip the nuts anymore. So i had to flag somebody down and borrow theres to get the last nut off, and get them back on.

All this during thick snow. My hands were freezing and filthy (works pool car so it never gets clean).

oh and the little lads school was closed as well, so i had to drag the missus out of work to look after him too.

What a morning ...

Soldato
And yet other countries manage to live with snow and ice far worse than this on a daily basis for good chunks of the year. We are really just totally unprepaired for it. Me included, I don't really think it's worth investing in snow tyres and chains etc for 2 weeks use in a year, at the most.

Soldato
And yet other countries manage to live with snow and ice far worse than this on a daily basis for good chunks of the year. We are really just totally unprepaired for it. Me included, I don't really think it's worth investing in snow tyres and chains etc for 2 weeks use in a year, at the most.
I agree. We're unprepared.. but we choose to be. In reality it's just not worth it for people in most parts of the UK. Can I be bothered with winter tyres and snow chains? No thanks. Not worth the expense or the hassle of changing them over for 2 days a year. People thrive a little bit on the chaos, anyway. What I really hate is people going "it's like a third world country", "why didn't the government do xyz?" - I mean, come on. Those people should ask what they did to prepare for it!

Soldato
What fun in thw snow today! Starting up, playing around in the snow and seeing how long it took to get grip :D

Then took me 3 and a half hours to drive 20 miles from my gf's, including about 30 light acceleration/sliding/me grinning/gf screaming at me/me looking a bit shocked when I couldn't get it straight no matter what :D

Lots of truckers stuck on hills, one guy caning the hell out of it then suddenly getting grip and flying away leaving massive tyre smoke :D

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Loving the tracks my Paradas make.

1233611268.jpg

Back
Top Bottom