Driving in snow

Soldato
There were BMWs and Mercs littering every hill I came across on the way to work this morning. Leicestershire county council have apparently run out of grit so the snow just built up relentlessly in the early hours of the morning.

Also security at work did not grit or plough the ~1 mile access road to the hub or the car park so it was solid snow.

Manta made pretty patterns trying to get up the slope into the car park. Had it wheelspinning in 5th at one point which was a first for me:

http://ocukroguesgallery.com/lopez/Snow1.jpg

Had to abandon it eventually in the middle of the car park, hence the "STUCK" comment :D

http://ocukroguesgallery.com/lopez/Snow2.jpg
Response borrowed from another thread: Lopez you lunatic.

hmm well the snow has gone but the ice is in abundance and so are the idiots:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n80/janes1536/DSC00378.jpg

how the person managed this i do not know, there was 5 other similar crashes on the way to work today. Morons.
It's having a wee

Soldato
I nearly crashed today, black sheet ice for about 15feet, right before a crossroads. Just gliding at about 15mph and I couldnt do much about it. I managed to get my passenger side wheels on the grass and gain some traction in the end.

It was hairy, but plenty of experience from it.

Which car :eek:

Golf, I am not driving the zed till May.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't know what the weather is like for anyone else but it's been snowing quite heavily here (Dundee, NE Scotland) and it's still coming down pretty thick.

Woo.

Soldato
Had ridiculous amounts of snow here around five inches at time of posting. Had to be pushed out a few times round my estate, main roads aren't too bad but it doesn't show any signs of stopping here.

Stopped outside my house here (2pm) to pick up some parcels and got stuck. Had to get my brother to push me out and then got stuck around the corner. Damn untreated local roads.

cimg6227gm0.jpg

cimg6226gx5.jpg

Soldato
Just started lightly snowing now here, I've got to go to work soon, I hope it doesn't settle as I'll be driving around town all night, my brakes are starting to squeak and I need new front tyres :s

I'm glad I had 2 nights off on Sunday and Monday as that was by far the worst snow so far, I went to the cinema with the missus, just started as we went in, came out 2 hours later and everything was covered in the stuff. Going up a hill, the main road to all the retail park places was a bit of hassle, made more stressful with the girlfriend thinking we're going to spin off and burst into flames from slightly veering left or right.

I feel sorry for everyone at work that night, a short drive was a pain for me, delivering pizza to ice covered hilly cul-de-sacs in the snow all night is a nightmare, especially when your using more fuel for the same pay!

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I had my Jeep 14 months the longest I have ever owned a motor & the day after I get rid it snows & don't stop :mad:
Fortunetly the SAAB seems to like the snow & must think it's back home as it has been fine, The door locks don't freeze & it warms up real quick, Driving is sound as long as you use low gears & no right foot & it has ABS so no probs stopping.
I am glad it is on my drive when parked though as I like it & don't want it clumped by some numpty. (Famous last words)

Soldato
Found out that my BMW has a heated driver's door key barrel, activated by pulling up on the handle but not opening the door.

Not that it gets much use, especially with the remote central locking - but neat nonetheless :D

Man of Honour
Tonight, on one of the roads near here, someone managed to slide right across the white lines and smack an on-coming car off the road. On an almost straight bit of road. I was tending to slide at about 35mph (yes, I slowed down then), so I'm guessing they were going faster than that.

M

Caporegime
I slid (well technically rolled) out of a downhill junction thanks to ABS cutting the brakes, ended up half in the main road but thankfully there wasn't much traffic coming. Stuck it in reverse to get out the way sharpish. It wasn't even deep snow, it was just like a few mm of slush :(

Back
Top Bottom