Driving lessons

Soldato
Different people require different amounts of instructor led lessons. It depends on how well you adapt to it and if you do driving with your parents or whoever, in addition to your normal lessons. I took about 13 X 1 hour lessons with an instructor plus some driving with my mum, then passed about 2.5 months after my 17th birthday. I was super keen to learn and pass though. I passed first time with 2 minors.

I had a friend that took about 40+ hours of lessons. He wasn't bad. He was just very laid back, a slow learner and the instructor milked it and never pushed him. My instructor was a geezer and told me off when I drove like a **** which I liked as it made me learn quicker.

Soldato
Still trying to grasp clutch control! Guess I’ll get there, just frustrating at times

It is easier on some cars than others. I started with a diesel and the clutch was stiff as hell but the car was very hard to stall.

Later i moved onto a Petrol and the clutch was very light and easy to use but was easier to stall and needed more care.

At least these days you have power steering and ABS breaks though, the first cars i drove had no power steering or ABS and were an experience lol.

Soldato
I had about 35 hours in total from what I remember over almost 2 years (lockdown issues) so it went on longer than needed and many of those where refresher lessons after having to stop for months before tests where allowed again. I passed end June last month and got my car about 2 weeks ago. I go out every day after work just to get used to the roads away from my immediate area.

Something I have noticed is the amount of people who speed is really high, sticking to the speed limit like good little new driver and people are speeding past on 30mph roads, I'm getting beeped at while people overtake me just to meet them at the traffic lights/round abound just down the road.

I don't feel comfortable at all, there is just so many reckless drivers, I suppose people know exactly where the "true" speed camera's are and don't care about speed limits otherwise.

Man of Honour
Something I have noticed is the amount of people who speed is really high, sticking to the speed limit like good little new driver and people are speeding past on 30mph roads, I'm getting beeped at while people overtake me just to meet them at the traffic lights/round abound just down the road.

I don't feel comfortable at all, there is just so many reckless drivers.

I've noticed a massive increase since the lockdown has eased up for people doing like 50 in a 30 and people who jump red lights, red light jumpers especially concern me as they are there for a reason and it is an easily avoidable incident with a high chance of getting someone seriously injured or killed.

Though the potential for a serious outcome was limited I had one couple of nights ago at temporary, 3 way, traffic lights where I just knew the person approaching the other side was thinking of going on red but I was too close, as I was going through I noticed someone waiting in the side street at the 3rd way, the moment I was clear the person coming the other way went almost hitting the person who was emerging from the side street - given I was barely clear I think they both went on red I know the one coming the opposite way to me definitely did.

Associate
OP

I don't feel comfortable at all, there is just so many reckless drivers, I suppose people know exactly where the "true" speed camera's are and don't care about speed limits otherwise.
My instructor has mentioned this too about drivers, I’ve actually had people overtake on lessons, I mean what’s the rush, they were once learners too! Think that’s what gets to me most than actual driving.

Soldato

My instructor has mentioned this too about drivers, I’ve actually had people overtake on lessons, I mean what’s the rush, they were once learners too! Think that’s what gets to me most than actual driving.
Bookmark this post and come back to it in 5, 10 years :p

New drivers typically don't do the speed limit, you drive quite a bit under it (26 in a 30 for example) when most would do an indicated 33/34mph at least (as the speedo in the car is off by a few MPH).

It isn't a good trait but folk will get a bit cross if you are doing 'well under 30' in a 30 and likewise in any other speed.

Make sure you get your 'P' plates on, and most of all, providing they aren't a danger, ignore them. Folk too often get riled up being mad about other drivers and lose site of what is around them and end up being the one to make a mistake.

Man of Honour

The problem isn't even really your speed it's your L plates.

I learnt to drive after riding bikes for about 4 years and therefore didn't really have any issues keeping my speed up a little bit compared to someone brand new to driving. I still had people tailgating me or overtaking and then realising I wasn't going that slow and having to squeeze back in. As soon as the L plates go you're no longer a target and peoples driving around you changes massively.

Man of Honour
Also the hesitancy, common with inexperienced drivers, even if you are mostly keeping up a good speed. I have a bit of a smile sometimes when I get up behind people on my regular commute who obviously are driving the road for the first time and I can anticipate when they are going to slow down when you don't actually need to, or the road layout isn't very clear, etc. and remember doing it the first time myself.

Soldato

Some people are complete bell ends around learners :rolleyes: "I've passed my test, so let me show how much better than you I am !"

Soldato
It took me a while, i really didn't like it at first but pushed on. Took me 5 months of lessons once a week from starting to passing my test.

I don't think i really felt all that comfortable then though and it took me a while of driving on my own, maybe another 6 months again to feel more confident.

Also the speeding in a 30 thing is very common and a constant annoyance of mine, i always stick to the limit in built up areas so either 20 or 30 and there's ALWAYS people right up your rear acting annoyed. You learn to deal with it and ignore them as you're in the right, they're just being muppets.

Associate
OP
It took me a while, i really didn't like it at first but pushed on. Took me 5 months of lessons once a week from starting to passing my test.

I don't think i really felt all that comfortable then though and it took me a while of driving on my own, maybe another 6 months again to feel more confident.

Also the speeding in a 30 thing is very common and a constant annoyance of mine, i always stick to the limit in built up areas so either 20 or 30 and there's ALWAYS people right up your rear acting annoyed. You learn to deal with it and ignore them as you're in the right, they're just being muppets.
Think I had about 10-15 lessons over a month or so but parents also took me out a bit.

I know what you mean not enjoying it as much as I thought but determined to keep going. Think I’m expecting too much

Soldato
My advice for your first few lessons would be to try and book 2 hours lessons. Yes they're more expensive and require a lot of concentration but I found it was much better to do a big lesson where you could get into the grove rather than a small 1 hour session.

Unfortunately my uncle works for the RAC so I had my first 10 hours of lessons with him. Absolutely hated it as he would just be grilling me for the entire duration of the lesson. I had to go with a stranger in the end but it made me enjoy it so much more.

Good luck with your lessons and hopefully you pass first time. All the cool kids pass the 3rd time though, or so I'm told.

Associate
OP
My advice for your first few lessons would be to try and book 2 hours lessons. Yes they're more expensive and require a lot of concentration but I found it was much better to do a big lesson where you could get into the grove rather than a small 1 hour session.

Unfortunately my uncle works for the RAC so I had my first 10 hours of lessons with him. Absolutely hated it as he would just be grilling me for the entire duration of the lesson. I had to go with a stranger in the end but it made me enjoy it so much more.

Good luck with your lessons and hopefully you pass first time. All the cool kids pass the 3rd time though, or so I'm told.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated I’m currently doing 2 1 hour lessons a week. Just finding it more difficult than I thought but guess I’m expecting too much. Will keep at it though.

Soldato
Hopefully I’ll have a better week next week! My head is burst trying to remember everything!

I did a manual license but have been driving automatics since 2015 and am never going back to manual. In hindsight should’ve done an automatic license but no harm done apart from it being a bit harder to pass in a manual.

Man of Honour
What works for building confidence is different for everyone and some people naturally understand how to do some aspects of driving better than others.

This is what helped me personally.

I found this video for some reason is one of the best for understanding road markings* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBYzMAAPtqE if you acquire the skill of looking (observing) for and reading the meaning of road markings as you drive almost everything else falls into place - if you can get someone to sit with you and find a stretch of mostly empty road and practise just noticing the lines changing.

Then start looking for signs with red on them, for some reason it isn't the approach most instructors seem to use instead trying to approach understanding each sign individually, signs with red on them are telling you things you need to know and/or need to obey about the road ahead - once you start filtering what you are looking at by picking out and understanding signs with red on them - most are fairly self explanatory when you actually look at what is on them - you'll increasingly be starting to understand what you are looking at when driving and mentally processing what is going on. You can do it as well as a passenger which also helps to build up your mental approach when driving.

(The exception to this is train station signs - for some reason they are prominently red despite being purely informational hah).

I like to practise hazard awareness when driving - for instance saw a ball at the side of the road the other day and thought might be an indicator kids were around and be prepared for that, another time seeing dirt marks from a field into the road thought it might indicate agricultural traffic and as it happened as I rounded the next bend there was a tractor doing 20MPH.

Ultimately I'm still a **** driver though - I struggle with roundabouts (mostly because I don't cope well with other people doing unexpected things) and don't always have the right instincts when approaching a situation despite having had a license since 2001 :(

* For me it was more a refresher as some things I hadn't really thought about in awhile but after watching it I had a much better mental awareness of the meanings than from when I learnt to drive.

I did a manual license but have been driving automatics since 2015 and am never going back to manual. In hindsight should’ve done an automatic license but no harm done apart from it being a bit harder to pass in a manual.

I'm glad I learnt on manual - but I have no intention now of going back to a manual for road use - it is automatic from here on out for me - I used to be of a different opinion but the difference in how much stress (even though I didn't notice it as stress) built up commuting in a small manual car vs a larger engine automatic one is actually quite significant - but then I find driving stressful at the best of times - I don't cope with dealing with other people very well especially if they do unexpected things.

Associate
OP
What works for building confidence is different for everyone and some people naturally understand how to do some aspects of driving better than others.

This is what helped me personally.

I found this video for some reason is one of the best for understanding road markings* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBYzMAAPtqE if you acquire the skill of looking (observing) for and reading the meaning of road markings as you drive almost everything else falls into place - if you can get someone to sit with you and find a stretch of mostly empty road and practise just noticing the lines changing.

Then start looking for signs with red on them, for some reason it isn't the approach most instructors seem to use instead trying to approach understanding each sign individually, signs with red on them are telling you things you need to know and/or need to obey about the road ahead - once you start filtering what you are looking at by picking out and understanding signs with red on them - most are fairly self explanatory when you actually look at what is on them - you'll increasingly be starting to understand what you are looking at when driving and mentally processing what is going on. You can do it as well as a passenger which also helps to build up your mental approach when driving.

(The exception to this is train station signs - for some reason they are prominently red despite being purely informational hah).

I like to practise hazard awareness when driving - for instance saw a ball at the side of the road the other day and thought might be an indicator kids were around and be prepared for that, another time seeing dirt marks from a field into the road thought it might indicate agricultural traffic and as it happened as I rounded the next bend there was a tractor doing 20MPH.

Ultimately I'm still a **** driver though - I struggle with roundabouts (mostly because I don't cope well with other people doing unexpected things) and don't always have the right instincts when approaching a situation despite having had a license since 2001 :(

* For me it was more a refresher as some things I hadn't really thought about in awhile but after watching it I had a much better mental awareness of the meanings than from when I learnt to drive.

I'm glad I learnt on manual - but I have no intention now of going back to a manual for road use - it is automatic from here on out for me - I used to be of a different opinion but the difference in how much stress (even though I didn't notice it as stress) built up commuting in a small manual car vs a larger engine automatic one is actually quite significant - but then I find driving stressful at the best of times - I don't cope with dealing with other people very well especially if they do unexpected things.
Thank you so much for the advice! Confidence is the key, I think that’s what knocks me back when I have a bad drive. Hopefully I’ll get there!

Back
Top Bottom