driving sorn vehicle past anpr

Associate
You will have now learned to remember the camera is there?

you mean he will have learnt not to drive it like that, i mean im not going in to deep but my views on this kinda thing is bad, i mean what if a kid stepped in front of you, or a person crashed in to you and they died, you would have your head on a plate my friend,

sorry but no sympathy from me and tbh i hope something comes your way, dam right obnoxious risk taking, and you are part of the reason insurance is so dam high for people who do it right,

i mean what harm did it do, well a lot for the sake of "taking it for a run" what was so important it couldn't wait till tomorrow or the day of the mot, WHEN you are legally aloud to drive the car!
:mad:

Soldato
Thread bump, but supplementary question;

I've just bought a car in Derby. It it had no tax. The dealer offered 7 days free driveway insurance. I queried this and was told it was offered as standard on all vehicles sold. I was happy to take the car home with no tax, as I had the V5 and proof I'd just bought it in case I got stopped (I also have DoC cover on my current insurance policy).

However, I got home and logged online straight away to buy a tax disc, so it would backdate to the start of the month. But before I did, I gave the MID a quick check and it reported that the vehicle was uninsured.

Alarm bells are ringing. I've just driven this car 150 miles home down the M1. Has it been uninsured all this time? I was not stopped or pulled over; does this have to happen in order for seizure/prosecution? I'm really worried that I might have passed an ANPR camera and it will automatically issue a ticket for no insurance and I'm in line for a hefty fine or worse.

In hindsight I should have asked for an insurance cover letter, but one assumes that a car dealer knows what he's doing, especially when he advertises the insurance so profusely, and I admit it didnt occur to me. I'm also worried that I'm not going to be able to get a new tax disc until I've sent off the logbook and received a new one and given that its the weekend, Im sure that wont be for a while.

Soldato
A fixed speed camera you mean?

There is no such thing as a fixed ANPR camera apart from the average speed cameras on the motorway, and they are used for speed checking.

There are fixed ANPR cameras, everywhere!

Thread bump, but supplementary question;

I've just bought a car in Derby. It it had no tax. The dealer offered 7 days free driveway insurance. I queried this and was told it was offered as standard on all vehicles sold. I was happy to take the car home with no tax, as I had the V5 and proof I'd just bought it in case I got stopped (I also have DoC cover on my current insurance policy).

However, I got home and logged online straight away to buy a tax disc, so it would backdate to the start of the month. But before I did, I gave the MID a quick check and it reported that the vehicle was uninsured.

Alarm bells are ringing. I've just driven this car 150 miles home down the M1. Has it been uninsured all this time? I was not stopped or pulled over; does this have to happen in order for seizure/prosecution? I'm really worried that I might have passed an ANPR camera and it will automatically issue a ticket for no insurance and I'm in line for a hefty fine or worse.

In hindsight I should have asked for an insurance cover letter, but one assumes that a car dealer knows what he's doing, especially when he advertises the insurance so profusely, and I admit it didnt occur to me. I'm also worried that I'm not going to be able to get a new tax disc until I've sent off the logbook and received a new one and given that its the weekend, Im sure that wont be for a while.

The MID doesn't up date that quickly, if you were stopped you would have had to prove you had insurance and would have just needed to get details from the dealers policy - fairly normal thing.

Caporegime
There are fixed ones on motorway bridges and ive seen one just outside pershore.

ANPR_Static_Installation.jpg

Cameras on motorway bridges are usually to monitor traffic flow, if you go up to the bridge they will have a sign saying so.

Associate

The MID doesn't up date that quickly, if you were stopped you would have had to prove you had insurance and would have just needed to get details from the dealers policy - fairly normal thing.

The MID is usually updayed within 5 minutes of the policy being taken out, the website might be a different matter though

Soldato

So I'm probably OK then?

Another thing. The car has valid MOT (I know because I checked the Direct.gov website) but I don't have the green certificate. Also, although I can get my proper insurance sorted on the car today, I wont have a cover letter through until the week. That means I cant buy the tax yet, but would I be OK to drive the vehicle as long as if stopped, I could prove I was a new owner and simply waiting on hard copies of my insurance and MOT details to buy tax?

My understanding is that as a new owner, if you buy tax it will start from the beginning of the month, so it's not like I wont be buying tax to cover my full ownership of the vehicle.

Soldato
:/

Im knackered then.
Can't buy tax online or over the phone as I'm a new owner.
Can't go into a Post Office because they are shut on Sundays.

Bugger.

Associate
I thought there were well publicised problems because some insurance companies take up to a week to update the MID?

some companies don't update it at all and it creates a lot of problems.
Most companies however update very quickly and are usually on the database within a short time of taking out the policy.

its usually on PNC almost immediatley after aswell

Associate
fixed ANPR cameras are absolutely everywhere , however they are not really looking for insurance/mot etc. These are completely real time and so if your car is sorned it will flash up but frankly nobodys likely to do anything about it.

The only ones you are likely to get pulled for are the mobile units that are not controlled by the Police.

Soldato
Pow. Found out my local Asda has a Post Office open that does tax, so printed the insurance docs, popped round there and got the tax sorted. Completely legal now :D

Permabanned
you mean he will have learnt not to drive it like that, i mean im not going in to deep but my views on this kinda thing is bad, i mean what if a kid stepped in front of you, or a person crashed in to you and they died, you would have your head on a plate my friend,

sorry but no sympathy from me and tbh i hope something comes your way, dam right obnoxious risk taking, and you are part of the reason insurance is so dam high for people who do it right,

i mean what harm did it do, well a lot for the sake of "taking it for a run" what was so important it couldn't wait till tomorrow or the day of the mot, WHEN you are legally aloud to drive the car!
:mad:

I'm unsure how death can be stopped by insuring and taxing a car. The only issue i can see is if he damaged someone's property he would have to pay for it out of his own pocket

Associate
fixed ANPR cameras are absolutely everywhere , however they are not really looking for insurance/mot etc. These are completely real time and so if your car is sorned it will flash up but frankly nobodys likely to do anything about it.

The only ones you are likely to get pulled for are the mobile units that are not controlled by the Police.

what mobile units are these that arent controlled by the police?

Associate
the mobile side of the road ones are usually Highways Agency , DVLA or VOSA.

The police do of course use them as well but usually in conjunction with other agencys. Mostly though its one of the other agencys and the police are simply there to support them.

The fixed ones are run by local councils or the Highways Agency.

Do they all share there data is the question :)

Back
Top Bottom